Is the WPA2 Router offered with my latest upgrade the same as what I have?
richas1

I recently renewed my FIOS arrangement!  One of the incentives was a new router.  I am unable to find specifications on it, although I am suspicious that it may be what I already have.  

I currently have an Actiontec MW!24WR Rev F cable modem/router.  The "upgrade" offered to me for renewing FIOS is 

Upgrade Offer for WPA2 Encryption – Replace WEP/WPA Only Router.

Upgrade Offer for WPA2 Encryption – Replace WEP/WPA Only Router

Has anyone investigated this and discovered if these are the same or if the incentive offer is better (faster, etc)?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Is the WPA2 Router offered with my latest upgrade the same as what I have?
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

The replacement router Verizon is offering free is the Rev I model.  You can see the specs here:

http://www.actiontec.com/products/datasheets/VrznMI424WRrevI_dtsht_Verzn%20brnded.pdf

0 Likes
jimbealde
Enthusiast - Level 2

In December  last year, I renewed my FIOS bundle, and as part of that, I was oferred an upgraded router for $100; it was the WPA2 router that is now being destributed free.  I am really ticked off about this.  Verizon sent a link in an email a few days ago to "order the upgraded router", but when I take that link, I get an error "This Web PAge is Not Available".    I talked to an agen who told me it was simply too much traffic and I should try again later.  I have tried at 1:00 am and I get the same error.  Has Verizon ripped me off?  Where do I file a complaint??

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@jimbealde wrote:

In December  last year, I renewed my FIOS bundle, and as part of that, I was oferred an upgraded router for $100; it was the WPA2 router that is now being destributed free.  I am really ticked off about this.  

<snip>

Has Verizon ripped me off?  Where do I file a complaint??

Welcome to the forums.  You're talking to other customers here.  If you want to reach Verizon, click here:
Contact Us

I can understand that you're annoyed, but consider than pretty much any consumer electronic gear you purchased 9 months ago is selling for less today, and I don't think you have much to complain about.  Verizon has been selling it for $75 since earlier this year, did you complain then?

The "free router" offer isn't guaranteed to get a Rev I (the "advanced" version).  It will provide a version that supports WPA2 which could be an older version.  Many folks have reported that they are getting Rev I, but know that not everyone is getting one.

Verizon continues to sell the Rev I at $75 for those that want to be sure they get one.  So the real change from what you bought to day is a $25 discount.

Enjoy.

0 Likes
jimbealde
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for your reply.  Somehow, I don't feel a lot better.  Had Verizon told me they were going to give this away in a few months, I would have save my $100.   And, the fact they send a link that doesn't work tells me I ought to look seriously at the next Comcast deal I see???  The link in the post above does work.  I'm going to order this even though I don't need it. At least they have to spend a few bucks to send me the free router I already paid for!!

0 Likes