Issue with Download Speeds and Video-On-Demand Services (Requesting Assistance)
arjun90
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm currently a FiOS Double-play Customer (Quantum Internet 50/50 and Extreme HD). I'm noticing that my download speeds never go beyond 48mbps, but my upload speeds seem to reach as high as 65mbps. I don't want my Video-on-Demand services to be compromised when my Internet bandwidth is being allocated to other devices in the house. A lot of forum users mentioned the term fluff; I don't seem to be getting download fluff anywhere. I recently got FiOS installed. Please let me know if there is anything that you can do on your end. My IP address is, {edited for privacy} Thank you. I greatly appreciate it.

0 Likes
Re: Issue with Download Speeds and Video-On-Demand Services (Requesting Assistance)
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Your talking to peers here.

Your values sound normal.  Sometimes you see the fluff sometimes you don't.  You happen to see fluff on the upload side.

My test this morning happens to see 58.86 down 63.84 up on a 50/50 plan.

You didn't mention your Operation System.  Some tuning on Windows XP or earlier may help.  Vista or later usually doesn't need much tuning. 

0 Likes
Re: Issue with Download Speeds and Video-On-Demand Services (Requesting Assistance)
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you able to confirm that the download speed tank while Video on demand is running? If it is, then Verizon will likely need to re-provision your ONT. Note that they only provision the ONT so high. Once you have enough VOD streams going the bandwidth will drop below 50Mbps.

In the past, Verizon would only "fluff" the connection while VOD was running. If your router supports realtime bandwidth monitoring, you would see this happen while maxing your download out and while running the VOD stream.

As for how much Fluff Verizon will offer, that is dependent on the area it seems.

0 Likes
arjun90
Enthusiast - Level 2

While VOD is running, my Download speeds dip below 40mbps (I'm testing everything using a wired connection, connected directly to the verizon router; no other devices running).  I didn't get any fluff for download speeds, which is quite frustrating, since technically, I'm not getting the 50mbps internet connection that I paid for.  

How do I get the ONT reprovisioned.  My pings are between 6-8ms; does this part need to be further examined? 

By the way, I'm running Windows 8.1, Windows 10 TP, and Mac OS X Yosemite GM Candidate across various devices, but testing one device at a time, being the sole device connected directly to the router with nothing else attached.  I know there are hardware limitations, but my devices contain dual band AC chipsets, and dual band N chipsets, more than sufficient.  

It's quite bizarre.  One of you mentioned getting 58mbps DL, not sure if thats on a consistent basis.  

My ONT is GPON-based, accepted as the universal norm now, first resident in my neighborhood to get service provisioned.  

0 Likes
arjun90
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, upgrading my speed tier was the way to go.  Multiple Devices = More Demand for Speed.  Each tier is set up for a limited # of devices.  I would recommend restricting each client machine to a certain bandwidth to evenly distribute speed.  Routers are gettiing smarter these days.  FiOS is fine quality.  😄

0 Likes