Just ordered a fios router GigE and wonder if I am suppose to get an email soon.
skyliner34
Contributor - Level 2

Hi I just ordered the Verizon GigE router and wondering if I will get a tracking number soon. I just got of tech support and she said it takes atleast 24 hours for me to get an email on my tracking number is that true? Just checking to make sure. I got an email about the order confirmation but not about tracking yet. Oh yeah I have a queston if I quit verizon can I use that router as an router?

0 Likes
Re: Just ordered a fios router GigE and wonder if I am suppose to get an email soon.
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

A router is a router. It will work on any service that you can connect to using MoCa WAN or a wired Ethernet connection.

I believe Verizon only supplies the tracking number when they actually have the product boxed up and out the door. If you got a confirmation then it may take up to the 24 hours the Verizon rep mentioned it would. It's not uncommon especially when you order things online for the tracking number to take time. I order products from NewEgg all the time and unless I order it very early in the morning, I won't get a tracking number until the next day in most cases after credit card payments have been processed and the warehouse has found the product.

Re: Just ordered a fios router GigE and wonder if I am suppose to get an email soon.
skyliner34
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks for the quick reply and that is great that you can use that router on any service not saying I will quit my fios connection but wanted to be sure and thanks for confirming what the tech said.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You're welcome 🙂

skyliner34
Contributor - Level 2

I just got my router from verizon 😄 and I didn't even have to pay extra for the day shipping sweet I can't wait to try it out after 6 pm.

Hubrisnxs
Legend

That's great news, also keep these instructions handy.  you're old router does not have to be rendered useless.  It can still carry a very useful purpose. 

If you have an area of the house that would benifit from a hardwired connection, then you can hook that old router up with a coax tv splitter, and extend your network.

0 Likes
skyliner34
Contributor - Level 2

It can't connect 😞 I am on tech support right now and hoping he/she will fix it soon.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

you need to plug in your old one, and release the DHCP lease on it before plugging in the new one.  If you have a Tech support agent, they can do this for you.  Probably just let them do their thing.   

Actiontec MI424-WR

Click on MY NETWORK icon at the top.

Select NETWORK CONNECTIONS from the menu on the left.

Select BROADBAND CONNECTION (coax or ethernet) depending on your connection to the ONT.

Click SETTINGS

Click RELEASE

Click APPLY

Disconnect the router immediately to prevent it from re-requesting a DHCP lease.

0 Likes
skyliner34
Contributor - Level 2

Wow my upload speed went down drastically. Before with my netgear router I got 25 Mbps and now like 5 Mbps up. What the hack that makes no sense. It should be same performance since the netgear is 300 Mbps B+G+N and the verizon is 300 Mbps B+G+N but netgear doesn't have performance selector or compatible select. The download is right where it should be but I mean come on my upload speed went down way alot that makes no sense. Both wireless and wired connection would hit 25/25 with the netgear  now my wireless can't even hit 25/25 it hits like 14 or 25 download and around 5 up and also the ping is a little higher. This router sucks I am thinking bout returning it.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@skyliner34 wrote:

Wow my upload speed went down drastically. Before with my netgear router I got 25 Mbps and now like 5 Mbps up. What the hack that makes no sense. It should be same performance since the netgear is 300 Mbps B+G+N and the verizon is 300 Mbps B+G+N but netgear doesn't have performance selector or compatible select. The download is right where it should be but I mean come on my upload speed went down way alot that makes no sense. Both wireless and wired connection would hit 25/25 with the netgear  now my wireless can't even hit 25/25 it hits like 14 or 25 download and around 5 up and also the ping is a little higher. This router sucks I am thinking bout returning it.

I do not have an explanation at ths point for your upload speed being that low, but you are incorrect about the wireless speed for the Verizon Actiontec Rev. I router, it is max 65Mbps at when set for B/G/N, and 130 Mbps when set for N performance mode. And it is not a dual band router, which your Netgear may be.

One thing I found with my Verizon router is that it comes with the wireless channel setting of Auto, and for me that was pretty bad. I used InSSIDer to see what wireless networks were in my area and what channels they were using, and changed my router to use only Channel 1, made a big improvement for me. Also chaning my Rev. I from the B/G/N to N performance option made a major overall improvement.

I have FiOS 25/25 service, I typically get 30/24.8 using my Actiontec Rev. I router, wired or wireless.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes