Just upgraded internet, little effect on wireless
RapideGT
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just upgraded from the old 10/2 to the 25/25 mb/s internet today. On the one wired PC, the internet speed is as expected, 30mb/s down and 25mb/s up. On wireless devices, however, the download speed is still the same ~12-13mb/s, and the upload speed is around 12 or 13 as well. It's as if there's a limit between both. I'm disappointed that I can't get what I'm paying for with the wireless, which is used a lot more than the wired.

I know that it's not guaranteed or anything, but I know that there's something causing this to happen. I have never had a problem with interference before, and don't see why I would now. Is it possible that something is limiting the router internally? I really can't think of anything else. From what little information I was able to get from a live chat support tech., the router should be able to provide up to 54mb/s no problem.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Just upgraded internet, little effect on wireless
prisaz
Legend

Or here. If you have Ethernet from your ONT and no TV, it is pretty straight forward.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios/3.0_Networking

View solution in original post

RapideGT
Enthusiast - Level 3

After browsing the forum extensively, it looks like it is indeed the router. Now I feel like crap having upgraded for pretty much no reason.

Will I be able to just go out and buy any Wireless N router and replace the FiOS-provided router?

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@dafatkid4321 wrote:

Will I be able to just go out and buy any Wireless N router and replace the FiOS-provided router?

That depends.  If you have FIOS-TV, you still need the Actiontec for the STBs.  It also depends on how the router is connected to the ONT.  If the router's WAN connection is over coax (standard), you'll need to have VZ switch your WAN connection to cat5.

0 Likes
RapideGT
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just did some extensive research on the topic and think I have an idea of what I can do. A few months ago a tech switched from coaxial to ethernet (did not specify type) from ONT to the router to try to solve a different problem. We're still using the ethernet. We do have FiOS TV. In that case, should I follow the instructions as shown here?

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

Or here. If you have Ethernet from your ONT and no TV, it is pretty straight forward.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios/3.0_Networking

RapideGT
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks. Looks like option 3 in that link is the best for me.

0 Likes