Just want to make sure FIOS VDSL issues and speedtest from local server
jhubaseball2k8

So, long story short, part of the allure of the new apartment I moved into was that it had "FIOS". I should've done my homework. Ohhh how I should have. This is my first experience with VDSL as a technology. I didn't know Verizon did this kind of thing, and I now see why they steer clear of it whenever possible. 

I have the most bare bones cable channel package, and 30/5 VDSL. And it's still running me 90 dollars a month. For 30/5. For connection speeds I used to be excited about........8 years ago. The kicker? Even if I wasn't getting punched in the face by paying double the price for half the speed, the VDSL service works nowhere NEAR advertised. First, the first hop to ANY node is 40+ ping. Second, out of that 30 advertised, I get about 5-10 from a speedtest server less than 5 miles from me (D.C. area).

Once I found out what VDSL was, I knew things might get a bit sketchy, but I never dreamed it possible to pay 90 dollars for a service this worthless. As far as I'm concerned, Comcast is literally Satan incarnate, but I'm seriously considering selling my soul to them all over again. I've always taken solace in the fact that I could usually get FIOS or RCN instead of the big C, but this time, it doesn't appear to be an option.

Sorry, rant over. Has anyone else had horrible experiences with VDSL?

0 Likes
Re: Just want to make sure FIOS VDSL issues and speedtest from local server
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

VDSL works just fine. The only problem with it is that it has a limit on how fast the internet is. You have a problem with your service that they need to look at.

0 Likes
Re: Just want to make sure FIOS VDSL issues and speedtest from local server
BobbyV1

So I am in the very same boat.  Moved from a new apartment buidling with fiber to my apartment to an old condo.  I think they should call this Fake Fios.  So I have this VDSL modem now and a Quantum Router (the later a waste of money, I think, at $10/mo.  )   I wonder if I could plug in my old Netgear router and save $10/month?

I actually was getting 29 down and 4.9 up.  But unfortunately, within a day of install, the VDSL modem started loosing sync intermittently,  Seem to go in spurts.  Everything works fine for 30-40 minutes, the sync light starts flashing for 1-2 minutes then it comes back. During the loss of synch, of course I have no internet.  It is almost as if there is noise on the copper pair between my apartment and the telco closet on my floor.  I have not opened a ticket yet because I had to go out of town for 10 days the day after install. Will call it in when I get back. 

Another oh-by-the way.   There is only one coax between the central closet and my rental condo.  So if you use it for Fios TV, you can't use the building's over the air master antenna feed for the bedroom. 

I got a good deal on the condo. But will not rent a old place again.  Got really spoiled by the 80/80 up/down in my old place. 

I will go without internet and TV before I use Comcast.  The worst customer service on the planet. Thank God their merger with TWC was nixed. 

0 Likes
Re: Re: Just want to make sure FIOS VDSL issues and speedtest from local server
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I would suspect that the wiring in the building would be landlord's responsbility, not Verizon.

Have you checked to see if anyone else is having issues or reported to landlord?

0 Likes