Logging into wireless router control panel
eakaye
Enthusiast - Level 2
I'm trying to log into our wireless router's (MI424WR) control panel, in order to set up port forwarding.  When I type my password into the password box, two or three characters appear for every one I press.  Needless to say, this prevents the router from recognizing my password.  I've tried this on both Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox, on two different computers, and the same result happens every time.
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Logging into wireless router control panel
Justin46
Legend

@eakaye wrote:
I'm trying to log into our wireless router's (MI424WR) control panel, in order to set up port forwarding.  When I type my password into the password box, two or three characters appear for every one I press.  Needless to say, this prevents the router from recognizing my password.  I've tried this on both Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox, on two different computers, and the same result happens every time.

No, it does not prevent the router from recognizing your password. That is what I consider to be a very poorly conceived security feature of the router, displahying multiple bullets for each keystroke. Just ignore what you see on the screen, type the correct password and it will work. 

Don't believe me? Search this site, there are multiple threads from the recent and distant past addressing this issue (it is not a problem or a bug, that is the way it is supposed to work).

Are you sure you know the correct password? If not, press the reset button on the back of the router and then log in with "admin" and "password." You will be required to change the password immediately after logging in.

Keller, TX 76248

View solution in original post

Justin46
Legend

@eakaye wrote:

No, it does not prevent the router from recognizing your password. That is what I consider to be a very poorly conceived security feature of the router, displahying multiple bullets for each keystroke. Just ignore what you see on the screen, type the correct password and it will work. 

Don't believe me? Search this site, there are multiple threads from the recent and distant past addressing this issue (it is not a problem or a bug, that is the way it is supposed to work).

Are you sure you know the correct password? If not, press the reset button on the back of the router and then log in with "admin" and "password." You will be required to change the password immediately after logging in.

Keller, TX 76248

ktropin

I have the same "problem". I've clicked reset (obvosly it wasn't working for a while).

Then I got login screen on my router (I mean at 192.168.1.1)..and I've tried "admin" with "password" and "password." - no luck =(

Maybe some of the letters should be caps?

0 Likes
eakaye
Enthusiast - Level 2

@Justin wrote:

@eakaye wrote:

Keller, TX 76248

Before I try this, will it break my phone and/or TV service?

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@ktropin wrote:

I have the same "problem". I've clicked reset (obvosly it wasn't working for a while).

Then I got login screen on my router (I mean at 192.168.1.1)..and I've tried "admin" with "password" and "password." - no luck =(

Maybe some of the letters should be caps?

What do you mean you "clicked reset"? Remember also we are talking about the ActionTec router here.

If you do not know your login name and password (frequently the Verizon installer will change the password to "password1" when they do the install), then you need to press and hold the Reset button on the back of the router for maybe 10 to 15 seconds, release it, go to the router with 192.168.1.1 and log in with admin and password (if you properly reset the router, the login info is absolutely admin and password). This procedure will reset the router back to factory defaults, so any customization you or the installer did will be lost.

No, none of the letters should be caps.

Did you not receive a little booklet when your router was installed with all of the installation info and the login info? You should have (again, I am talking about an ActionTec router install, I have no experience with the other router Verizon uses).

Keller, TX 76248

Justin46
Legend

eakaye wrote: 

Before I try this, will it break my phone and/or TV service?

No it should not break anything except any customization either you or the Verizon installer did. If you did customization then it is certainly possible some things might not work, althoughy if all you have is a standard FiOS install (you didn't change the IP address range, DHCP, add any rules, etc) then all should work just fine. And if you did any customization you wrote it down or saved it in some manner, right, so you could re-apply it if, for example, the router broke and you had to replace it?

The net is, if you really do not know the login info for the router, you are going to have to do the reset anyway, so you just might as well go ahead and do it, whether it breaks something or not.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
eakaye
Enthusiast - Level 2

@Justin wrote:

frequently the Verizon installer will change the password to "password1"

Ah! Jeez!  I asked the installer, and I heard him say the password was "the number 1".  Logging with "password1" worked fine.  Thanks for your help, Justin!

0 Likes