MI424WR Lost Windows 7 Lost Device Names
MaxU
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have MI424WR (Rev I) router.  To simplify my home network monitoring and troubleshooting, I've identified by MAC address all my normally connected devices and renamed them (i.e. Laptop, PS3, iPad, etc. instead of New Host 3 or any other "default" naming convention for a newly connected device) on the Router.  When I check back several days later (and after cycling power to the router and devices as part of ongoing troubleshooting), I've noticed that SOME devices have the changed names in place (e.g. Wireless printer, iPad, etc.) but SOME have reverted back to default router naming convention (New Host, Androidxxxxxxx, etc.).  Clearly the MAC address of the "lost name" device hasn't changed and I don't understand why the router isn't picking up the same device upon re-connection.  My understanding was that MAC address was the unique identifier for a device, and once matched to the router's settings - the changed name should be assigned to that device again upon re-connection.

Not a huge deal - but very annoying.

Any ideas?  Thank you!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: MI424WR Lost Windows 7 Lost Device Names
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

I do the same thing so I can easily tell which devices are active.

The issue is when a standard DHCP lease expires without renewal, the router forgets everything about that lease.  This includes the name manually assigned to the device.  The way around this is to keep the router from forgetting anything, which is done by creating a static DHCP lease for the device.

Go to the "DHCP Connections" list.  You can get there from the Advanced Menu by clicking on "IP Address Distribution" and then "Connection List."  It's also buried in network menus.

Once on this list, find an active device that you want to re-name, click the "edit" icon, and click the "static lease" checkbox.  Next, apply the changes and then you'll be able to edit the name.  Save those changes, and your done!  "Wash, rinse, repeat" for all your other devices.

You can also manage the actual IP address assigned with this method, which is especially helpful if you have devices like printers or servers that work better with a consistent IP address.

Enjoy.

View solution in original post

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Save the configuration after you change it then you can restore it after a power failure or reset

You can find save and restore of configuration by logging on to the router and selecting advanced then configuration file in the system settings box

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

I do the same thing so I can easily tell which devices are active.

The issue is when a standard DHCP lease expires without renewal, the router forgets everything about that lease.  This includes the name manually assigned to the device.  The way around this is to keep the router from forgetting anything, which is done by creating a static DHCP lease for the device.

Go to the "DHCP Connections" list.  You can get there from the Advanced Menu by clicking on "IP Address Distribution" and then "Connection List."  It's also buried in network menus.

Once on this list, find an active device that you want to re-name, click the "edit" icon, and click the "static lease" checkbox.  Next, apply the changes and then you'll be able to edit the name.  Save those changes, and your done!  "Wash, rinse, repeat" for all your other devices.

You can also manage the actual IP address assigned with this method, which is especially helpful if you have devices like printers or servers that work better with a consistent IP address.

Enjoy.

MaxU
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you very much!  That seems to have solved my challenge.

Very much appreciate the prompt recommendation.

0 Likes