MI424WR – Rev I LAN Speeds
Marr2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm trying to figure out if the LAN speed on Actiontec MI424WR – Rev I is it 10/100 or 10/100/1000 ? If it is 10/100/1000 how to I go about getting verizon to send me a router that works correctly, Asking because I just got off the with them and they could not even tell me the speed of the LAN ports, all they wanted to talk about was my internet speed I did try to

explain that my question had nothing to do with that to no avail.

Thanks for the assistance

0 Likes
Re: MI424WR – Rev I LAN Speeds
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Those are gigabit ports on the Rev I.    Should be labeled on the back ports where you plug them in 

eljefe2
Master - Level 1

The Rev I is definitely 10/100/1000.

When transferring files across my lan I see peaks of ~100 mB/s, somewhere around 800 megabits per second.

There are LED lites next to the LAN ports on the router and they show whether the device plugged into that port is connected at 10, 100, or 1000 mB.

Marr2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks Hubrisnxs and eljefe that's what thought, but I guess that's not what verizon thinks, just talked to them again and they said no they are not gigabit, they 10/100 only. So it looks like I'm stuck with the router.

eljefe2
Master - Level 1

You can download the Rev I user manual here:

http://www.verizon.com/cs/groups/public/documents/adacct/vz_bhr3_rev_i_user_manual.pdf

If you look on page 9 you'll see "Integrated wired networking with 4-port 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet switch and MoCA."

And on page 15: 

The LAN Ethernet ports connect devices to the FiOS Router via Ethernet cables 

to create a local area network (LAN). The LAN Ethernet ports are 10/100/1000 

Mbps auto-sensing ports, and either a straight-through or crossover Ethernet 

cable can be used when connecting devices to the ports.

In addition, as I mentioned earlier, you should be able to see the labels 10/100/1000 around the LAN ports on the router, showing the LED indication at which speed a device is connected.

Both On=1G!

It's sad if Verizon tech support doesn't know this, and I can't understand that, but it is what it is.

Marr2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks eljefe

I should have been more clear on my initial post , I was trying to transfer files between two PCs

and could not understand why it was going so slow, checked everything even plugged the pcs

through  a gigabit  switch I have in another place to try to eliminate things as I went along and was

only left with the router as the issue and I explained everything to verizon techs and even that the

router is a gigabit router but they would not listen even the last tech I talked to said out right it was

not gigabit .  So I guess according to verizon my router works fine.

Again eljefe thanks for the help, to bad your not a tech (or are you?)  I could  have talked to

and have the router replacced.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Hey Marr...

Let me start by saying I'm a tech only as a hobby, not a professional.  Basically just another user here trying to offer a little help when and if I can.

Having said that, there are other factors besides a bad router than can be causing a slower-than-wanted transfer between PC's.   The invidiual  NIC's in each PC can definitely be an issue.  Read the post by viafax999 here for an example:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Upload-speed-is-below-1mb-when-i-pay-for-50mb/td-p/766905

When your PC's are connected directly to your router, what LED(s) show at the LAN port where they're plugged in?  10, 100, or both?

And did you see any improvement in speed when you connected through that gigabit switch?