MOTOROLA SBG6580 MODEM/ROUTER WIRELESS N COMPATIBLE WITH VERIZON FIOS ?
pizman
Enthusiast - Level 1

hi can anyont tell me if the motorola surfboard extremewireless cable modem gateway is compatible with verizon fios ? i purchased it not long ago for my cox internet so like to use it for the wireless n portion of it so the wireless is stronger and travels farther...please any input would be kool........ty

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: MOTOROLA SBG6580 MODEM/ROUTER WIRELESS N COMPATIBLE WITH VERIZON FIOS ?
Hubrisnxs
Legend

not compatible as a replacement for the actiontec, but you should be able to piggy back it to the verizon router and use it's wireless signal instead. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

not compatible as a replacement for the actiontec, but you should be able to piggy back it to the verizon router and use it's wireless signal instead. 

0 Likes
pizman
Enthusiast - Level 1

ty for reply and answer !!!!!

Deucebaby

Hi...I'd like to chime in on this with to ask a little deeper into it. I, too, have a Motorola SURFboard (SB6121) that I want to use to connect to my verizon router/modem to increase speed, but for some reason it's not working out and the verizon rep I just got off the phone with was clueless about computers/networking in general 😞  I have the new modem plugged into port 4 of the verizon one, but no beans!-what am I missing?

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

This should be a good walk through that you can use to connect your surf board with the fios router.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Deucebaby wrote:

Hi...I'd like to chime in on this with to ask a little deeper into it. I, too, have a Motorola SURFboard (SB6121) that I want to use to connect to my verizon router/modem to increase speed, but for some reason it's not working out and the verizon rep I just got off the phone with was clueless about computers/networking in general 😞  I have the new modem plugged into port 4 of the verizon one, but no beans!-what am I missing?

I'm afraid the SURFBoard SB6121 from Motorola won't be of much use. That's a cable modem only that relies on DOCSIS technology, something FiOS does not use. Doesn't have built-in Wireless and instead only has a single port for connecting devices TO the modem when it's set up on a DOCSIS network (it otherwise, might be running itself as a router as older Motorola cable modems do without a signal, which will cause issues with your network).

The reason the SBG6580 can be set up to work with FiOS is because it happens to be a Cable modem with a built-in Wired and Wireless router, which can be disabled enough to not cause issues and set up as a bridge. While the DOCSIS "Cable modem" portion is useless with FiOS, it works fine otherwise.

0 Likes