Add or Change Services

Renew or Change Bundle

Review Account

Manage My Internet

Manage My Voice

• Support  

Community help

• Watch FiOS  

Watch thousands of your favorite TV shows and movies On Demand and Live. Rent or buy your favorites and watch them on any device. Or, check what's on tonight and program your DVR. You can do it all!

Watch Free TV & Movies

Rent or Buy

Set your TV Viewing Experience

• Trending  

Check out this personalized, real-time feed featuring the latest content and entertainment from around the Web including new headlines, sports, entertainment and more.

See what's Trending!

Contributor
pizman
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

MOTOROLA SBG6580 MODEM/ROUTER WIRELESS N COMPATIBLE WITH VERIZON FIOS ?

hi can anyont tell me if the motorola surfboard extremewireless cable modem gateway is compatible with verizon fios ? i purchased it not long ago for my cox internet so like to use it for the wireless n portion of it so the wireless is stronger and travels farther...please any input would be kool........ty

Platinum Contributor I
Hubrisnxs
0 Kudos

Re: MOTOROLA SBG6580 MODEM/ROUTER WIRELESS N COMPATIBLE WITH VERIZON FIOS ?

not compatible as a replacement for the actiontec, but you should be able to piggy back it to the verizon router and use it's wireless signal instead. 

Contributor
pizman

ty for reply and answer !!!!!

Contributor
Deucebaby
0 Kudos

Hi...I'd like to chime in on this with to ask a little deeper into it. I, too, have a Motorola SURFboard (SB6121) that I want to use to connect to my verizon router/modem to increase speed, but for some reason it's not working out and the verizon rep I just got off the phone with was clueless about computers/networking in general :-(  I have the new modem plugged into port 4 of the verizon one, but no beans!-what am I missing?

Platinum Contributor I
Hubrisnxs
0 Kudos

This should be a good walk through that you can use to connect your surf board with the fios router.

Gold Contributor VII
Smith6612
0 Kudos

Deucebaby wrote:

Hi...I'd like to chime in on this with to ask a little deeper into it. I, too, have a Motorola SURFboard (SB6121) that I want to use to connect to my verizon router/modem to increase speed, but for some reason it's not working out and the verizon rep I just got off the phone with was clueless about computers/networking in general :-(  I have the new modem plugged into port 4 of the verizon one, but no beans!-what am I missing?

I'm afraid the SURFBoard SB6121 from Motorola won't be of much use. That's a cable modem only that relies on DOCSIS technology, something FiOS does not use. Doesn't have built-in Wireless and instead only has a single port for connecting devices TO the modem when it's set up on a DOCSIS network (it otherwise, might be running itself as a router as older Motorola cable modems do without a signal, which will cause issues with your network).

The reason the SBG6580 can be set up to work with FiOS is because it happens to be a Cable modem with a built-in Wired and Wireless router, which can be disabled enough to not cause issues and set up as a bridge. While the DOCSIS "Cable modem" portion is useless with FiOS, it works fine otherwise.

========
The first to bring me 1Gbps Fiber for $30/m wins!

My Verizon

Support Tools

Watch FiOS

Trending

• Visual 411