Max speed for highrise building
glennauve
Enthusiast - Level 2

I live in a highrise condo building. We've had FiOS for several years now. The system utilizes our existing coax cable network. My internet speeds are essentially 25/5. Is this limited by the network? Or is it a matter of the installed FiOS equipment? i.e. is it possible to get faster speeds than I am currently getting? Paying $150/mo for the UltimateHD/internet/landline phone bundle.

0 Likes
Re: Max speed for highrise building
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@glennauve wrote:

I live in a highrise condo building. We've had FiOS for several years now. The system utilizes our existing coax cable network. My internet speeds are essentially 25/5. Is this limited by the network? Or is it a matter of the installed FiOS equipment? i.e. is it possible to get faster speeds than I am currently getting? Paying $150/mo for the UltimateHD/internet/landline phone bundle.

What speed is the internet portion you signed up for, I'm assuming it's 75/75.  Is that speed you are quoting wired or wifi?

If you're paying for 75/75 then that is the speed you should be getting, in actuallity more like 85/80

0 Likes
Re: Max speed for highrise building
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Thinking about it.  As you are in a multiple dwelling building I would guess that you are on a VDSL connection from a central MDU and if so there will be speed issues see

https://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Just-want-to-make-sure-FIOS-VDSL-is-as-bad-as-it-seems/t...

The general consenus appears to say the maximum you will get on a good day is 30/5 and depending on the phone wire connection bring in th DSL signal it may be worse.

Does your router have a coax and a twisted pair connection ?

0 Likes