Misleading online offer for new router
Mark-e
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yesterday on myverizon I was offered "GET A GREAT DEAL ON FASTER INTERNET AND A NEW ROUTER".  I have a screenshot of the offer, which has no qualifiers.  Since I already have a Rev I router, a new router would be the gateway.

I clicked on the link and ordered.  The order processed, and no mention was made of the router.  I called and a rep told me that since I had an "advanced" router, I would not receive a new one unless I wanted a new one of the same version or was willing to pay $9.99 a month.  I questioned why, if she knew what router I had, I was presented with the offer.  She said that "marketing" didn't know what router I had.  I asked to speak with a supervisor, and she told me she was an "account manager".

This is a false and misleading offer, and I have complained to the Better Business Bureau, and will be pursuing with competitent state and Federal agencies that would have jurisdiction over such activities.

Re: Misleading online offer for new router
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Mark-e,

Sorry you are having difficulty. An agent with access to your account will reach out to you directly by email, private message in the Forums and/or the billing telephone number on your Verizon account for more information or to help you resolve your issue. Please remember to check your spam/junk folder if you do not hear from an agent.

0 Likes
Sang1224
Enthusiast - Level 1

I also received a solicitation in the mail from Verizon saying that I could get 75/75 high speed internet and a FREE Gateway router for only $10 more per month. It says I would get first month's  upgrade for free if I signed up online.

I attempted to sign up online. It added $35 per month to my bill, rather than $10. I tried to do an online chat with a representative, and he said he couldn't guarantee the price, because he's in the sales department. What on earth?? Sales and marketing don't communicate with each other?

This is a misleading marketing campaign if the price of the upgraded service is actually $35 more per month. 

I would like to contact Verizon about it, but sales and marketing disavow any knowledge of each other, making it a very frustrating process.

My next communication will be to the FCC.

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Hello Sang1224

Sorry you are having difficulty, an agent with access to your account will reach out to you directly by email, private message in the Forums and/or the billing telephone number on your Verizon account for more information to help you resolve your issue.Please remember to check your spam/junk folder if you do not hear from an agent.

0 Likes
Mark-e
Enthusiast - Level 2

I think the FTC, not the FCC would have jurisdiction over these issues. Your local cable regulatory body and state attorney general/consumer protection agency might as well. I would suggest going to the BBB web site.  VZ seems responsive to them.  I received an email from the "Verizon Executive Relations Team" asking for more information a few hours after filing a complaint. I provided it, along with a screenshot of the offer.  I haven't heard back from them or my post here.

Interestingly, today I was presented with another offer, $5 a month more for 50/50 for two years.  Of course I ordered 50/50 yesterday. I took a screenshot of that too. 

There does not seem to be a link between what you have, either service or hardware and what the "marketing" computer presents to you.

I am waiting to see if the my BBB complaint resolves the issue before pursuing formal regulatory redress.

0 Likes
Sang1224
Enthusiast - Level 1

Please keep me posted regarding the outcome. 

I am never surprised by Verizon's marketing shenanigans, but everyone in my cul-de-sac is running a VZ WiFi router, so the signal is always bogged down. I just want to get this new router and see if it helps with my service. 

I will try again today, if I can get someone on the phone.

0 Likes
Sang1224
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you, Elizabeth. My email address is {edited for privacy}. Perhaps that will be helpful when your team reaches out.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Mark-e
Enthusiast - Level 2

@Sang1224 wrote:

Please keep me posted regarding the outcome. 

I am never surprised by Verizon's marketing shenanigans, but everyone in my cul-de-sac is running a VZ WiFi router, so the signal is always bogged down. I just want to get this new router and see if it helps with my service. 

I will try again today, if I can get someone on the phone.

I'll keep you posted.  No contact from either here or {edited for privacy} Verizon Executive Relations Team, who emailed me yesterday.  I just checked my call log in  DV and my cell, and no missed calls.

In my now daily check of offers, today was 75/75 for $10 and a new router.  I clicked it, and unlike your experience, it did offer it to me for only $10 more for 2 years.  As tempting as it was to do it for another free router I resisted, waiting to see how this is resolved.Smiley Wink

I will wait till later today to see if anyone reaches out before going further.

0 Likes
Sang1224
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have heard from no one and haven't gotten an email. When I try to get the offer online now, I can't get it anymore. I still have my flier, and I guess I'll try the BBB or call a friend at the AG's office. 

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for letting us know. We will send another note to them.

0 Likes