Customers With Disabilities
  • RESIDENTIAL
  • BUSINESS

    Verizon Business Sites

  • WIRELESS
Reply
Contributor
Benc1
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎04-12-2012
0 Kudos

Modem Login Failed.

Recently, I just received the Fios Internet Plan and I wished to change the default username and password on the modem. So I went to http://192.168.1.1/ and typed in "admin" and "password1" but I failed to log in. Then I went ahead and reset the modem and tried it again, still didn't work. And now "login has been temporarily disabled due to too many unsuccessful login attempts."

 

Also, something's weird. When I'm trying to type "password1" in the password section, it appears to be longer than what it should be. One single letter comes out to be 3~4 hidden characters. Really need some help this.

All Star
viafax999
Posts: 1,672
Registered: ‎11-10-2009
Device: Chromecast tv phone
Plan: Digital Voice, 75/35
Location: Westford MA

Re: Modem Login Failed.


Benc1 wrote:

Recently, I just received the Fios Internet Plan and I wished to change the default username and password on the modem. So I went to http://192.168.1.1/ and typed in "admin" and "password1" but I failed to log in. Then I went ahead and reset the modem and tried it again, still didn't work. And now "login has been temporarily disabled due to too many unsuccessful login attempts."

 

Also, something's weird. When I'm trying to type "password1" in the password section, it appears to be longer than what it should be. One single letter comes out to be 3~4 hidden characters. Really need some help this.



By default the userid will be admin and the password is the serial number that can be found on the sticker on the back of the router.

If you reset the router the userid will be admin and you will be prompted to select a new password.

The extra characters when you type the passwaord are meant o be a security feature to mask the length of the password.  Ignore them and just type in whatever the password is meant to be.

I'll guarantee it's not password1 unless you set it to that as VZ abandonded that scheme about 12 months ago.

 

 

Contributor
ChadSteele
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎01-17-2014

Re: Modem Login Failed.

[ Edited ]

The extra character insertion is probably the dumbest inclusion ever devised by a {please keep your posts courteous} programmer.  (An Epic FAIL)

The verizon modems are without a doubt the least friendly and most painful to setup or change.

MVP
TNS_2
Posts: 1,582
Registered: ‎12-16-2012
0 Kudos

Re: Modem Login Failed.


viafax999 wrote:

Benc1 wrote:

...



By default the userid will be admin and the password is the serial number that can be found on the sticker on the back of the router.

If you reset the router the userid will be admin and you will be prompted to select a new password.

The extra characters when you type the passwaord are meant o be a security feature to mask the length of the password.  Ignore them and just type in whatever the password is meant to be.

I'll guarantee it's not password1 unless you set it to that as VZ abandonded that scheme about 12 months ago.

 

 


By default the password varies after a reset.  It is either

 

  • password printed on label
  • "password"
  • Not specified and you are asked to enter
  • Might be the serial number, but I haven't run across a model that set its to tha.

It is never 'password1"  which is a value that used to be set by the Verizon installers.

 

MVP
TNS_2
Posts: 1,582
Registered: ‎12-16-2012
0 Kudos

Re: Modem Login Failed.


ChadSteele wrote:

The extra character insertion is probably the dumbest inclusion ever devised by a {please keep your posts courteous} programmer.  (An Epic FAIL)

...


Not a Verizon idea.  I first ran into more than 15 years ago.  And whoever thought of it probably won some awards.  Personally I prefer not even showing an acknowledgement of character entered, but that seem to be even more unpopular.

 

Account & Services

  • Pay Bill
  • Add/Change Services
  • Manage My Rewards+
  • Renew Your Contract
  • Manage Services
  • Visual 411

Email, News & TV

  • Check Email
  • Announcements

Support Tools