Moving Router and Modem to another room
RahulV
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello,

So, I have Verizon internet in my home office. The steup is that the Modem is connect to the phone jack unit on the wall via a phone cable. The Modem is connected to the Verizon router via an ethernet cable and the Router is connect to the wall coax outlet via a coaxial cable.

Here is what the setup looks like

Now, since my TV, PS3, DVD player etc is all in the living room, I decided to move the entire setup there so I can connect most of the devices to the router via ethernet cables.

I mimicked the same setup in the living room but for some reason, the internet light on the router stayed red. Would there be a problem with the Coax wall unit or the phone jack unit in the living room?

Note: I have two coax wall units side by side in the living room and I tried connecting the router to each of them.

This is how the coax wall outlet looks like in the living room

Any help on this issue is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rahul

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Moving Router and Modem to another room
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

So you have DSL for Internet not FIOS?

If so, then what is the router running?

Are you just using it for wireless?

You can keep the DSL modem in the one roon and if you can run an ethernet cable from it to the new room (as long as it is less than 300ft) you are good.

Or you can just run the phone line to the new room.
And you can replace the modem/router setup with a single device as well.

View solution in original post

eljefe2
Master - Level 1

It may be a while before a forum staffer approves your .jpg files so we can see them, but to start with a little info that might help....

First, if you have FiOS there is no modem, just a router that is fed from an ONT.  thus it's not clear from your description what your setup is.

Second, you should be able to move your router, etc., to the living room.  I assume you have a Verizon set-top box in the living room that feeds your TV.  When you tried to move the router did you connect it to the same coax port that feeds the set-top box?  Doing that would assure you that the coax port you're using actually has a live feed.

While pondering that, one more thing you might consider.  You might leave your existing (and working) configuration as is, and provide an Ethernet feed to your living room devices using an Actiontec ECB2500C.

http://www.actiontec.com/251.html

The ECB2500C will let you use the coax that's feeding your set-top box and give you an Ethernet output.  It's plug-and-play...no configuration required.  For whatever that's worth....

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

As eljefe noted, FiOS does not use modems, only routers.  Are you sure you have FiOS and not DSL?

Now that your pictures are posted, the issue is even more confused.  Your pictures shows a Motorola Cable modem, which is a device that should never be used with FiOS.  It is for cable DOCSIS systems only.  Further, cable modems don't plug into phone lines, they plug into coax.  If cable modems are used to provide voice service, they will plug into phone lines AND coax, but never just a phone line.  If you have a cable modem, remove it now.  It will only confuse you and can break your service.

Your pictures clearly don't match what you have.  To clear this up, can you post pictures of your actual equipment and the model numbers of that equipment?

If your living room has two coax jacks, it's possible they are connected to different coax networks or one is not connected at all.  You'll have to remove the wall plates and trace their connections to be sure.  I'm guessing they go back to a central distribution point and one is not connected.  The central distribution point may have a big multi-way splitter.  In that case, all you have to do is plug in the end of the cable from the inactive jack.  If you don't have any empty ports on the splitter, track down where all the other cables go.  Maybe one goes to a room that you don't need service and you can swap the cables.  If everything is in use, you'll need to add another splitter either at the distribution point or hang it off the active jack in your living room.

Good Luck.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

So I am not sure what the device that conencts to the wall is.

Can you supply model number?

And how is Internet fed from your ONT? Coax or Ethernet?

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

It sounds like your setup might be a VDSL modem that feeds the Verizon router. If that is the case the technician probably installed a filter where the wiring enters your home to express the VDSL signal to only the phone jack that you were originally plugged into. You would have to rewire the filter to use the new jack before it would work.

RahulV
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello Folks,

First of all, thank you so much everyone for your help.

I took a picture of what my setup looks like and this is what it is.

The router is connect to the D-link modem (DSL-6300V) via an ethernet cable.

So, basically, if I want to move this whole setup to my living room, I will have to rewire the phone jack outlet in living room? Is this something that is doable with ease or do I need a Tech guy to come and do it?

Thanks,

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

So you have DSL for Internet not FIOS?

If so, then what is the router running?

Are you just using it for wireless?

You can keep the DSL modem in the one roon and if you can run an ethernet cable from it to the new room (as long as it is less than 300ft) you are good.

Or you can just run the phone line to the new room.
And you can replace the modem/router setup with a single device as well.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

It looks like you have a VDSL modem.  I'm guessing you live in an apartment, which is where VDSL is often used for FiOS installs.

I'm not that familiar with VDS installations.  I suspect the phone jack used with the modem is specially wired for the VDSL connection.  It may require a handyman or technician to re-wire another jack if you want to move the modem.  Or, you can do as CRobGauth suggested and use a long Ethernet cable.  You can even have an Ethernet cable pulled through the wall.

A local handyman can handle rewiring tasks if you're not up to it.  Verizon can do it, too, but they will be expensive.

Good Luck.