Moving my Fios Router to another room
Patryk

Since i moved to another room i would like to have router with me but the coax cable is to short (i need like 80-90 feet)

I have laptop and can use wireless but the signal is low and my wireless in my laptop keeps disconecting

could verizon come to my house and extend the coax cable ?

also if i would have to pay anything ?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Moving my Fios Router to another room
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

The normal stuff will work, so long as there is no video on that line. (no tv's connected to that run). If there is going to be a tv on the line at all, then you do need the RG6

If you want to do it on the cheap, just get a barrel "F" connector to connect two coax lines together and run the line yourself. Cheaper this way and usually not difficult to do.

You could pay Verizon to do it but the last time I checked (last year) it was over $100 to have a tech come out. I did it myself for $22 in materials and about 30 minutes of my own time.

Both of those options are "Visible" installs. Verizon will not run the cable in the walls. And you are not likely to be able to do so either (unless you really know what your doing). If you want the cable hidded in the walls. Then you should pay an electrician to come out and run the wire for you. This is EXPENSIVE, but it is hidden in the walls and may be worth the money in the WAF (Wife approval factor  😉    )

View solution in original post

0 Likes
eestubbs

@Patryk wrote:

Since I moved to another room I would like to have router with me but the coax cable is to short (I need like 80-90 feet)

I have laptop and can use wireless but the signal is low and my wireless in my laptop keeps disconnecting

could Verizon come to my house and extend the coax cable ?

also if I would have to pay anything ?

Hello Patryk and Merry Christmas,  I am not an expert but when Verizon installed my router, they installed it in the unfinished area of my basement (about 7 months ago). Just recently I was receiving a lot of moisture in that room.  Afraid of what may happen, I took an old cable coupling union (left over from Comcast) and about fifty foot of old cable, disconnect the  router.  then I use the coupling to connect to the Verizon cable coming into the house. I move the router about 25' into the finish part of the basement, reconnected to the router byway of the old 50' cable. Connected one end of the 50' cable to the installed old cable coupling and the other end into the router. Plugged everything in, turned everything back on and it is working fine. And best of all, no cost. Smiley Happy

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

@Patryk wrote:

Since i moved to another room i would like to have router with me but the coax cable is to short (i need like 80-90 feet)

I have laptop and can use wireless but the signal is low and my wireless in my laptop keeps disconecting

could verizon come to my house and extend the coax cable ?

also if i would have to pay anything ?

Hi Patryk,

You have a few options.

1. You can get a wireless signal extender connect it in your house in a central point between the router and the affected device and it should increase the wireless signal.

2. you can get a wireless N router and piggy back that to your Verizon Router - this provides the strongest wireless signal that you can possibly get in the house, by replacing verizon's old G router technology with the new N router standard that gets a lot further distance than verizon's router.

3. You can get a really long coax and run the wire yourself and bring the router closer to your PC (very inexpensive fix my 12 foot cable cost 3 bux)

4. You can hire verizon to come in and do the same for you (crazy expensive)

5 You can go online to a place like EBAY and purchase a NIM 100 or another Actiontec MI424 router for $20 bux or more (depending on which auction you get it from).   

This option will only work if you have a working coax connection in the 2nd room.

My recommendations

If I Wanted to stay wireless then I would probably get the wireless N router and call it a day.

If I didn't care about wireless and I Wanted speed and performance and I had a working coax connection in the other room, I would by a tv splitter, and the Actiontec or the NIM (Depending on the price) and hook that up in the 2nd room. 

this option would look like this   wall   --->  coax --> splitter --> one side goes to TV --> other side plugs into Nim100 or Actiontec -- > ethernet cable from the router to the PC.

I may have missed something but I am sure other people will give you their advice too.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

I Forgot to mention that your problem might be resolved by simply changing the channel inside your router.

open up a web browser and in the address bar type 192.168.1.1

the user name is 'admin' and the password is 'password1'   or 'password'    

once you're in the router, go to wireless at the top and then click it

next page hit basic security

and then under option 3 is where you will find your channels. 

it will probably be set to auto.  there are three channels that will make a difference.   the ones that work are 1, 6 and 11.

so start by changing it to 11. and hit apply.    try the connection and see if the signal for the wifi is stronger.  if it's not then try 6, and then ultimately try 1.      if none of those work or make a difference, then fall back to my earlier post.

0 Likes
Patryk

Merry Christmas to you too

thanks

i guess ill buy coax cable myself and move the router since its gonna cost a lot if i hire verizon

also can it be normal coax cable or they have special onces for fast internet connections ?

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

rg6 is preferred, but the normal stuff will likely work as well. 

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

The normal stuff will work, so long as there is no video on that line. (no tv's connected to that run). If there is going to be a tv on the line at all, then you do need the RG6

If you want to do it on the cheap, just get a barrel "F" connector to connect two coax lines together and run the line yourself. Cheaper this way and usually not difficult to do.

You could pay Verizon to do it but the last time I checked (last year) it was over $100 to have a tech come out. I did it myself for $22 in materials and about 30 minutes of my own time.

Both of those options are "Visible" installs. Verizon will not run the cable in the walls. And you are not likely to be able to do so either (unless you really know what your doing). If you want the cable hidded in the walls. Then you should pay an electrician to come out and run the wire for you. This is EXPENSIVE, but it is hidden in the walls and may be worth the money in the WAF (Wife approval factor  😉    )

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

rg6 is preferred, but the normal stuff will likely work as well. 

Make sure it's RG6 or RG6U

The other stuff won't work at all or at best might work with lot's of drop outs.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

maybe I'm the exception to the rule, I don't use rg6 and I have immaculate picture quality.

0 Likes
Patryk

ok thanks guys i bought 100 feet coax cable moved the router and it works perfectly 😄

0 Likes