Multiple Complaints - reasons I will cancel Verizon Fios
jhm1973

Hello,

Since Verizon has apparently no way to lodge a complaint, I will use this venue to make a statement concerning why I will cancel my service as soon as possible.

I recently moved and decided to go with DirecTV for cable, and they recommended partnering with Verizon Fios for internet service. I set the appointment for between 1-5 on a weekday because no non-workday options were available. I took a half day from work and waited. I called at 6:30, and customer support notified me that I had changed the appointment to a window of 3-7. I informed them that I had not. The technician arrived after 7pm anyway. Keep in mind for later: I took a half day from work and the technician arrived at night. This is vacation time that I will otherwise not get to use.  

The technician was nice and courteous, but was clearly at the end of a very long day. My new home has been wired to accomodate multiple ways to set up internet, cable, etc., with a central hub. There are ethernet outlets in every room, in order to carry data so that different devices, without using wifi, can be connected. The technician neglected to connect any of these outlets, only one in my bedroom, which is nowhere near the hub. Had I known that the wireless signal would be so awful, I would have made sure he connected everything correctly. Alas, I was also at the end of a long day, even though I only worked half of it.

The technician hooked up our wireless, said goodbye and left, and all was good after around 9pm. Then I actually tried the wifi in different rooms. It was abysmal. When I had originally spoken with a Verizon rep to determine what kind of speed I would need, I noted that we would be streaming from multiple devices and she set me up with a plan. It turns out that it was the bottom line plan. Thinking that this was already too much to be paying for just high speed internet (no phone, no cable TV), I had to bite the bullet and get the "Quantum Upgrade." Well guess what? Streaming is still choppy one room over, and my wife routinely gets kicked out of her VPN setup with work. We gave it a good test run for a week or two and finally called customer service. The rep tested the strength of the signal and then recommended that I buy longer antennae for the router. That was her solution: get longer antennae, and that might help.

Two notes about the days soon after the installation:

1) I found out from the previous owner that he had used the same setup: Fios and DirecTV. If that is the case, why did my technician have to go outside and drill new, gigantic holes into two walls, and run a new cable across the floor of a space-age, high tech home? In retrospect, when he began that process, I should have just stopped him.

2) The actual hole in the side of my home: my wife noticed that the cable went into the side of my house, and there was no puddy, quick-hardening gel, or anything like that to keep moisture from getting inside the walls. I had to call Verizon to get a tech to come fix it, and it took two days. It rained in the interim and we covered it with a plastic bag; trouble we should not have had to go through.

So now I have reached my limit and called Fios to get another technician out to correct the installation. All they need to do is bring the router over to the hub, and connect it so that other rooms can plug into the data outlets. If necessary, I can get repeaters to plug in rooms to get a decent enough signal to use throughout the house. Note that I am still willing to work with Fios (as of earlier this evening).

After 50 minutes of being transferred by people to other people to other people, I have been told that, yes, they can get a technician out, but it will cost me $95 (no, wait! the next person says $92 for the first half hour and $45 each half hour after, and you KNOW it will take more than a half hour!) to get out and do what should have been done in the first place. This would be on top of paying too much for internet already. At one point, I very nicely made it clear to the billing rep on the phone that I was willing to do one of two things: 1) have a technician come out and fix the issue at no cost, and continue to pay Verizon for my monthly service for probably years to come; or 2) cancel immediately and pay somebody else to come in and provide the same service. Even though it meant costing Verizon money in the long term, her hands were tied, so I will cancel.

So, thanks for a wonderful evening, Verizon. (Actually, evenings.)

I implore someone at Verizon to get in touch with me to try to rectify this without me having to switch. Even after having these bad experiences, I really don't want to go through setting up a new service, and I want to believe that there is someone at Verizon who will read this and want to just treat the customer right. But I doubt it.

P.S. For what it's worth, all of the service representatives that I spoke with were very courteous and well-spoken. I had no problem with them; just the service, installation, and way that Verizon in general has treated me as a customer.

0 Likes
Re: Multiple Complaints - reasons I will cancel Verizon Fios
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you.Please go to your profile page for the forum, and look in the middle, right at the top where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.
Under “My Support Cases” you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, at the top of your support case there is a drop down menu for support case options. Open that and choose "subscribe".
Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes
Re: Multiple Complaints - reasons I will cancel Verizon Fios
Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

Hello jhm1973,

We are closing your case. Sorry for the trouble. Let us know if you have any comments, questions, or concerns regarding your service.

Happy Holidays!

Rachel_VZ

0 Likes