Multiple Fios Routers from one ONT
SolidZane
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi. Hopefully a simple question.

Our home is a bit too big for a single Fios router, and a few too many devices...

I was wondering if there was a way to configure multiple Fios routers to run off the houses coax?

I've attached a diagram to help visualize what I'm looking for.

Our house is not wired with ethernet, and it's not feasible to wire it now. So I thought this up...

As a side thought, I also have a Linksys cable modem and seperate wireless router... Is there a way to add that/those into the mix?

I understand that the Fios router works the VOD service, and I don't want to interfere with that either. Just looking for a way to expand our home network to maintain proper speeds for multiple devices (Game consoles, cell phones, tablets, computers, etc...)

Thanks in advance for any insight, positive or negative.image

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Multiple Fios Routers from one ONT
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

The easiest way for you to expand your network is to purchase an Actiontec WCB3000N  FiOS Network Extender from Verizon.  This device plugs into to any active coax port in your home, connects to the main router's LAN using MoCA (i.e. over coax), provides two local Ethernet plugs and is a dual-band WiFI access point.  The WiFi on the device will automatically be configured to match the WiFi settings on the router.  It is truly a plug and play device.

You can get more details about it here:

http://www.actiontec.com/305.html

It costs $74.99 + S&H and tax if you buy it direct from Verizon here:

http://www.verizon.com/fiosaccessories

Don't buy it on Amazon or elsewhere, as it will be more expensive and come with a MoCA to Ethernet bridge that you don't need.

As CRobGauth noted, cable modems are useless with FiOS.

Enjoy.

View solution in original post

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

For some reason your pic didn't come through.

Neither device you mention will support MOCA for Internet.

Options:

Use a MOCA bridge (search the forums or Google for more details)

Use powerline Ethernet adapters to conenct wireless rotuer to FIOS router

or find a way to run ethernet from FIOS router to a location where you can use wireless router as an acess point.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

The easiest way for you to expand your network is to purchase an Actiontec WCB3000N  FiOS Network Extender from Verizon.  This device plugs into to any active coax port in your home, connects to the main router's LAN using MoCA (i.e. over coax), provides two local Ethernet plugs and is a dual-band WiFI access point.  The WiFi on the device will automatically be configured to match the WiFi settings on the router.  It is truly a plug and play device.

Don't buy it on Amazon or elsewhere, as it will be more expensive and come with a MoCA to Ethernet bridge that you don't need.

Enjoy.

SeanU

I have the exact setup you pictured using 2 extrafios routers i picked up on ebay. There is a good post here on how to set it up http://smallbusiness.chron.com/set-up-second-router-verizon-fios-60493.html

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

The instructions on the "smalbusiness" site aren't that good.  First of all, FiOS doesn't use modems, only routers.  Whenever I see an article that insists on calling FiOS router's modems, I know that the author doesn't fully understand the system.

The approach listed in this article will create a double NAT, which means devices attached to the 2nd router will not be able to access resources connected to the first router.  This is fine if all you want is Internet access, but prevents sharing of important things like printers, scanners and storage.

An Actiontec router can be used as a network extender.  It needs to be configured into bridge mode.  While not that complicated, there are a specific set of configuration steps that must be followed in a specific order to get it working properly.  If the OP has an extra Actiontec router and isn't afraid of a mucking around in the configuration menus, then this is a good route to follow.  There are some good posts over on dslreports.com that describe how to do this.  If you can't find them, just say so and I'll post some links.

Now, if the OP doesn't have any extra hardware beyond the useless-on-FiOS cable modem and a Linksys router, the WCB3000N  is a great way to go.  It really just plugs into coax and starts working.  No configuration needed as it pulls all the settings from the main Verizon router.  It also adds a 5GHz WiFi network.

Good Luck.

Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

Just wanted to chime in also and say that the WCB3000N will take care of it for you. Also, a similar device is what we call a NIM. We don't supply these anymore but occasionally you can find them on eBay. We used to install those back when we supplied D-Link routers during installs. Hope that the posters comments help.

Thanks,

CJ

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@SolidZane wrote:

Hi. Hopefully a simple question.

Our home is a bit too big for a single Fios router, and a few too many devices...

I was wondering if there was a way to configure multiple Fios routers to run off the houses coax?

I've attached a diagram to help visualize what I'm looking for.

Our house is not wired with ethernet, and it's not feasible to wire it now. So I thought this up...

As a side thought, I also have a Linksys cable modem and seperate wireless router... Is there a way to add that/those into the mix?

I understand that the Fios router works the VOD service, and I don't want to interfere with that either. Just looking for a way to expand our home network to maintain proper speeds for multiple devices (Game consoles, cell phones, tablets, computers, etc...)

Thanks in advance for any insight, positive or negative.

Take the 3 way splitter out of the diagram, as you're not allowed to get 3 wan addresses, and it will work just fine with some configuration of 2 of the routers.

Make any one of the routers the primary router and then configure the others to be in bridged mode on the network.

Here's how to configure a secondary router as a bridge.

http://support.actiontec.com/doc_files/Configure_MI424WR_as_a_LAN_MoCA_Bridge.pdf

0 Likes
SolidZane
Enthusiast - Level 1

@gs0b wrote:

Enjoy.

Okay, this sounds like the best bet... Just to clear things up in my head, the device you listed is essentially a router that automatically sets itself up to match the settings of the actual Fios router. Right? It just isn't called a router... Because it piggybacks off another device...

I read up on it on Actiontecs website, so I think I understand what it does, and it sounds like it is exactly what I need. Thanks!

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@SolidZane wrote:

Okay, this sounds like the best bet... Just to clear things up in my head, the device you listed is essentially a router that automatically sets itself up to match the settings of the actual Fios router. Right? It just isn't called a router... Because it piggybacks off another device...

I read up on it on Actiontecs website, so I think I understand what it does, and it sounds like it is exactly what I need. Thanks!

It is not a router.  It does not provide any router services such as DHCP or NAT.  It is a MoCA bridge, Ethernet switch and WiFi access point.  It does exactly what it's name implies; extends your home network.  It requires a router to run the network.

If it was a router it would create a separate sub-network within your home.  Devices attached to the sub-network network would be able to access the internet, but not other devices on the main network.  Most routers can be configured to act only as a bridge and WiFi access point, but that requires some mucking about in their configuration menus.  It's not hard (I've done it with my old Actiontec rev I) and is a good idea if you already have an old router lying around and don't mind playing with router configs.  But if you need to buy new equipment and don't like to configure networks, the WCB3000N  is a great option.  It helps that it adds 5Ghz WiFi as well.

Enjoy.