My AirPrint-compatible printer not showing up on networked Apple devices
mgmedia

I'm using a number of Apple AirPrint-compatible devices on my home network, and have an AirPrint-compatible HP printer connected to the network. However, when I try to print via AirPrint using an iPad, it's not capable of finding the printer. We're on a FiOS connection with an ActionTec wi-fi router, and our computers can all find the printer just fine...any ideas where we've messed up on using AirPrint?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: My AirPrint-compatible printer not showing up on networked Apple devices
Mike_VZ
Contributor - Level 3

Hello Mgmedia,

I have a few questions to ensure all the bases are covered.  You said you have a number of devices printing in your scenario but are any of them specifically wireless?  If the answer is yes then the network portion is set up correctly for the printer.  Have you ensured your iPad is connected to your wifi and not a neighbors?  You may need to update your printers software to be iPad compatible.  Please refer to the 2 links below for your peripheral device set up support sites.

Apple iPad Support

HP AirPrint Support

Thanks

0 Likes
mgmedia

Yes, all of the regular computers print just fine wirelessly. It's only the devices that rely on AirPrint that can't see the printer. Firmware on the printer is current, and it is AirPrint-compatible. I suspect from seeing other messages that the Verizon router may be the issue and doesn't support AirPrint. 

0 Likes
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

If your regular computers print successfully, there is nothing wrong with the router. The computer sends print request to the router and router is forwarding it to the printer. We are not familiar with the AirPrint.  It is a third party program request going through the router. There could be alot of things causing problems. Only thing I could think of is that you either do not have UPNP enabled or you need to setup port forwarding in the router so the internal firewall in the router doesn't block it. Here is a link showing port forwarding instructions for the actiontec router. Ignore the custom port numbers and instead put in the numbers used by AirPrint

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Actiontec/MI424-WR_Rev.E/Air_TV.htm

If you are still having problems you need to contact tech support for AirPrint. Our router is correctly receiving requests and routing them where they are supposed to (web page requests, regular computer printing, etc) . We can not say what non standardized  third party application is trying to do and what specialized settings, hardware requests, or any other requirement.

0 Likes
MJR2011

Hi Guys,

Would you please update/confirm if your original problem is resolved?

I have the same issue now sine I bought the HP Airprint comatible printer and connected over wirelss with Verizon ActionTech Router. All other laptops and PCs see the printer but iPad2 and IPhone 4 does not seem to find the printer using Airprint.

If port forwarding resolved the issue. PLease post the Port numbers.

Thanks

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Port Forwarding really shouldn't be needed in order to use AirPrint. Apple's website states that AirPrint relies on Bonjour, so the key here is to see if Bonjour-related tratfic can be passed across the ActionTec (which does not touch the Internet, taking Port Forwarding right out of the picture). It should be able to, but there's a lot of factors that we're playing with here which could mess things up. Bonjour works on a system of Multicasting, so if the router is able to handle Multicast data, Bonjour and ideally, AirPrint should be able to work without issue.

When you connected the HP Printer to the network, did you by any chance get a message indicating that there was Software upgrades available for the printer? I would install them if one did show up, since Apple's forum suggests that HP at one time released some bug fixes to the printer's software which fixed AirPrint. The Prompt should show up on the printer shortly after connecting it for the first time and enabling the web-related features.

I might point out that there are applications out on the Apple App Store and on the Internet that allow you to view the Bonjour traffic on your network. They tend to come in handy with finding out issues related to AirPrint, since you can see what the Printer is broadcasting. Might be worthwhile to check them out.