My wireless internet is really slow!
mkchl
Enthusiast - Level 1

I used to have the FIOS 15/5 internet plan and my wired speed was fine, except my wireless speed was 5/3. So a few days ago, I switched to the 50/25 plan. I tested the wired speed on my new laptop and it's great except that the wireless speed is 10/5.. Smiley Mad

What should I do? Is the router the problem? It's only two years old.  

0 Likes
Re: My wireless internet is really slow!
Comet2011L4
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello mkchl,

This is an interesting situation. I'm glad that you are getting the 50/25 results through wired.  However, as you explain your wireless speeds are only 10/5. There are several things you can do. I will list some for you.

1. Reposition your router.

2. Use only one wireless standard.

3. Use WPA2 security.

4. Change your wireless channel (the frequency band at which the router communicates).

5. Change default channel width of the router (20/40mhz). This can only be done with routers that support the 802.11n and 802.11ac standards.

6. Upgrade your router. (Maybe not the best thing to do)

7. Upgrade your wireless adapters. Perhaps getting a signal booster to your wireless adapter on your PC.

I don't think the router is the problem.  You can try moving your wireless laptop right next to the router and test the speeds. If you see in increase in speed or performance it tells us that the signal loss is happening between objects or walls.

Re: My wireless internet is really slow!
mkchl
Enthusiast - Level 1

Using the WPA2 security helped a lot!! thanks!! Smiley Happy

I just realized that the internet speed slows down when I leave the living room, where the router is. Smiley Frustrated