Need advice on improving wireless service in my home
JJaeger3

We have a 3 story house and the router is on the second floor.  There are parts of the first floor that cannot get wireless. The only service on the first floor is a set top box for the TV.

I figure my options are:

--Get an additional router for the first floor

--Move the existing router to the first floor (which would probably cut off service to the thrid floor

--Replace the existing router with something more powerful that will reach all areas of the house

What do you recommend?  If #1 or #3, should I go through Verizon, or buy a third party product and install myself?  Will I need other products (splitter, etc) if I install it myself?  

Jeff

0 Likes
Re: Need advice on improving wireless service in my home
CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

Assuming you have an Actiontec router with built in MOCA (All new Actiontec routers  from Verizon offer this feature)  the best solution is a MOCA adapter and another router which you can repurpose  and use as an AP on your first floor.

Install a splitter on the cable serving the first f.loor set top box and run one leg to the set top box and the other to your MOCA adapter.   Using an Ethernet cable connect your repurposed to the MOCA adapter and you are good to go.

You can purchase the adapter directly from Verizon or check on line for a better deal.

MOCA works great and should give you a link rate in excess of 100 Mbps and is plug and play.   If you need gigabyte speeds on your LAN than you will need to run a Cat 6 Ethernet cable.

If you need help  converting a router to work as an AP search this forum or elsewher on line.  Very simple and straight forward.

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

@JJaeger3 wrote:

We have a 3 story house and the router is on the second floor.  There are parts of the first floor that cannot get wireless. The only service on the first floor is a set top box for the TV.

I figure my options are:

--Get an additional router for the first floor

--Move the existing router to the first floor (which would probably cut off service to the thrid floor

--Replace the existing router with something more powerful that will reach all areas of the house

What do you recommend?  If #1 or #3, should I go through Verizon, or buy a third party product and install myself?  Will I need other products (splitter, etc) if I install it myself?  

Jeff

You can get a dual band wireless extender and put it on the first floor. https://teleproducts.verizon.com/fios/index.cfm/eh/DisplayDetails It will solve all your issues and it is very easy to install. I have one and it works great.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@CaptainSTX wrote:

MOCA works great and should give you a link rate in excess of 100 Mbps and is plug and play.   If you need gigabyte speeds on your LAN than you will need to run a Cat 6 Ethernet cable.

If you need help  converting a router to work as an AP search this forum or elsewher on line.  Very simple and straight forward.

Gigabit runs fine on cat 5 and up.

0 Likes
JJaeger3

Thanks.  Do I need to buy a splitter and cable to use this on the first floor, if I still want to use my Set Top Box?

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

You will need a splitter and short piece of coax if you have a STB on the first floor.

0 Likes
rew7202

wich router are you using

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

The Actiontec Rev I with the red band.

0 Likes