Need help with cascaded router. Unable to get FTP directory list.
android11
Enthusiast - Level 2

Having issues with the embedded FTP server on an Asus router cascaded to the Verizon Actiontec router.
I have portforwarding setup on the Actiontec pointing to the Asus.
I can connect via ftp from outside and get a response from the Asus ftp server everytime but I don't get a directory listing.

Which route should I take:

Option 1:

Configure DMZ on Actiontec to point to Asus router.

Firewall will be left on in the Asus.
Do I need to leave the port forwarding entry in the V router pointing to the Asus for FTP service or
Do I remove it and now configure portforwarding on the Asus with the FTP pointing to itself

Option2:

Reconfigure Actiontec as an internet modem connected to the Asus which will be the main router:
http://data.agaric.com/node/2160

Thanks for the help.

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Need help with cascaded router. Unable to get FTP directory list.
Hubrisnxs
Legend
Awesome, im thinking about updating my trendnet router. Can't decide between tomato and ddwrt. The actiontec will dish out dynamic dns entries to the machines. So if its dynamic dns on the asus or actiontec then the machines will see 192.x.x.x for the dns. If you put static dns entries, I would think that your machines should be seeing those entries, unless you also statically assigned dns in your nic settings.

View solution in original post

Hubrisnxs
Legend

For that type of a set up, I would follow this advice,  Just kill the port forwarding rules to your asus in the actiontec, assign the asus a private and static IP Address (stay away from the .100 range, .200 is fine) and then put the asus in the actiontec's DMZ.

After it's in the DMZ, use only the asus to do the port forwarding.    Option 1 is your best choice,.

android11
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks I'll give it a try tonight.

android11
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sorry forgot to ask. 

When I go to to manually configure the ip for the Asus, the router

page asks for username, password, vpn server, mac clone, etc.

I noticed on the Actiontec that it has a mac clone entry for the wan part of router. 

I use that same mac address for the asus mac clone entry right? 

What do I enter for these:

username:

password:

vpn server:

I'm assuming I can leave them blank?

dns servers: leave on auto?

I had changed the dhcp range from 192.168.1.2  - 25 as I only have a few machines.

I don't remember the original range.  Changed the ip of the Asus to a static of .100 and I got a duplicate IP error.

How can that be when it was out of the range that I had newly configured it for? 

But then the actiontec was hooked up with lan to wan of the Asus.  Is that why?

Is there a range that I'm supposed to avoid as the range you had pointed out earlier?

Thanks again.

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@android1 wrote:

When I go to to manually configure the ip for the Asus, the router

page asks for username, password, vpn server, mac clone, etc. 

Not sure which router you're referring to.

If you're referring to the Asus, can't help you.  Try the Asus support site.

If you're referring to the Actiontec, see the following FAQ:

I can't login to the VZ router

@android1 wrote:

I noticed on the Actiontec that it has a mac clone entry for the wan part of router.   

I use that same mac address for the asus mac clone entry right?  

If your connection between the Actiontec and the Asus is LAN-to-WAN, it won't make any difference.  The Actiontec's WAN MAC address will only be seen by VZ's servers on the WAN side.  If the WAN MAC address is cloned to the Asus, it will only seen on the Actiontec's LAN,.  The purpose of cloning a WAN MAC address is to make VZ's servers think they are talking to the Actiontec, when in fact it is a different router. 

@android1 wrote:
What do I enter for these:
  •  username:
  •  password:
  •  vpn server:

I'm assuming I can leave them blank?

dns servers: leave on auto?

It's still unclear which router you are referring to.

I assume you're referring to the Asus, since the Actiontec doesn't have "VPN Server" on the WAN configuration page. 

@android1 wrote:

I had changed the dhcp range from 192.168.1.2  - 25 as I only have a few machines.

I don't remember the original range.  Changed the ip of the Asus to a static of .100 and I got a duplicate IP error.

How can that be when it was out of the range that I had newly configured it for?   

But then the actiontec was hooked up with lan to wan of the Asus.  Is that why?

Is there a range that I'm supposed to avoid as the range you had pointed out earlier?

The Actiontec reserves .100 to .150 for STBs.  If you have Fios-TV and VZ STBs, they will be assigned IP addresses in that range, which is why Hubrisinxs advised you to avoid that range.

android11
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for your prompt reply.  I really appreciate it.

Here's the WAN-Internet Connection page of the Asus RT-N16.

wan connection:
static/dynamic/pppoe/pptp/l2tp = chose static

IPTV STB Port = chose none( I don't have FIOS TV)

WAN IP setting:
Get wan Ip auto: yes/no = chose no to enter static ip
ip = 192.168.1.2xx
sub mask = 255.255.255.0
def gateway = 192.168.1.1 (lan ip of actiontec)

WAN DNS: (if you enter a static ip for wan, it dims out
the feature to connect to dns automatically)
Is there a way to get this info from the actiontec router page, can't find it????
Got this when I do ipconfig /all
dns 1 = 216.146.35.35
dns 2 = 216.146.36.36

Account Settings:
A bunch of dimmed out fields which includes a username/password field.

Special requirement from ISP:
Left all blank.
vpn server:
hostname:
mac address:
---------------

In the beginning when I chose a static ip between
192.168.1.40-70,  I would get a duplicate ip error even though
my dhcp scope on the Actiontec is 192.168.1-25. Once I hit save/apply, a wizard like environment

asking all the questions I had posted earlier shows up.

But since I entered a static ip of .2xx as you guys recommended, that wizard never showed up.
On the Actiontec, I deleted the portforwarding entries
and inputed  192.168.1.2xx for the DMZ.
With the entries I chose, everything is ok except I'm still having
problems with FTP.  Using http://www.wormly.com/test_ftp_server, I'm connecting

with my ftp server but still no directory listing with or without the portforwarding entries made on the Asus.

I'm thinking of switching out the firmware to either tomato or dd-wrt to see if it's

better since I'm not having any luck with Asus' firmware.

Accessing the flashdrive connected to the asus via a share is ok  from the lan, just not from outside.

Could you please verify my settings again and see if it's ok.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hubrisnxs
Legend
Looks good but you may want to check your software firewalls or disable them for a test. And you may want to think about port triggering vs port forwarding on an ftp
android11
Enthusiast - Level 2

Update....

I updated the firmware of my Asus to Tomato vpn build k2.6 mipsr2 tonight.

Fixed the ftp problem!!

This firmware is awesome.  My web browsing is fast and my wife's browsing on her smartphone is faster now.

I can access the files on the usb via windows share(lan).  My brother ftp'ed to my flashdrive and was able to get in.

I'm still on the dmz.  Wireless printing is working too with my Canon usb printer connected to the router.

1) Not sure if I configured port triggering properly.  My understanding is that port triggering

is dependent on port forwarding turned on.

I have trigger ports: 20-21 and forward ports: 20-21.  Port forwarding is also on.   Is that correct? 

2) Also the DNS Server section now shows 3 fields to enter static entries on this tomato firmware.

So I entered 192.168.1.1 and 68.238.64.12 which I got from my desktop connected to the Actiontec router.  I left the 3rd empty.

When I do an ipconfig /all on this laptop that is running wireless to the Asus router,  it now shows the DNS as 216.146.35.35 and 216.146.36.36(different from my static entries ????).  The only dns server entries I see on the actiontec router page is if I go to System Monitoring and it shows  68.238.64.12 and 68.238.128.12.  What is the best way or proper way for me to get the dns server ip's in case it changes in the furture?  Just by me putting the lan ip of the actiontec as one of the dns server, does it make the actiontec push the dns entries I need automatically?  Just confused about how the actiontec handles this part.

Thanks again!!

Hubrisnxs
Legend
Awesome, im thinking about updating my trendnet router. Can't decide between tomato and ddwrt. The actiontec will dish out dynamic dns entries to the machines. So if its dynamic dns on the asus or actiontec then the machines will see 192.x.x.x for the dns. If you put static dns entries, I would think that your machines should be seeing those entries, unless you also statically assigned dns in your nic settings.