Need to extend wireless range
tntpointer
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the Westell 9100EM set up as a MoCA router on one end of my house.  I need to extend the wireless range to an RV that sits on the opposite side of my house.  In the RV, An HP laptop gets good reception, but  my MacBookPro can only sporadically connect.  We have a STB out there that is working fine.  However, we just installed a Blu-Ray player and it only gets 2 bars on the connection.

So I need to boost the wi-fi signal and would like to know the easiest way to do so.  I know I can't use WDS, but could I connect a 2nd router to the Westell and then use a Wireless G-range extender set up in the garage to extend the range?

Or can I replace the antenna with a Wi-Fi antenna booster?  If so, any recommendations?

Or can I use a powerline wireless extender kit like this:  http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Powerline-Wireless-N-Extender-XAVNB2001/dp/B0046SQ8VW/ref=sr_1_12?ie=U...

Thanks

TJ

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Need to extend wireless range
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

Since you already have a coax connection for the STB, why not use a MOCA bridge?

Can I get an ethernet connection in a room with only coax?

You can pick up an Actiontec reouter on eBay for ~$20.

Install a 1x2 1Ghz splitter and you have both a wireless-G WAP and a 4 port wired ethernet connection.

View solution in original post

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

Since you already have a coax connection for the STB, why not use a MOCA bridge?

Can I get an ethernet connection in a room with only coax?

You can pick up an Actiontec reouter on eBay for ~$20.

Install a 1x2 1Ghz splitter and you have both a wireless-G WAP and a 4 port wired ethernet connection.

tntpointer
Enthusiast - Level 2

So there's no way to do it wirelessly so I don't have yet another cord stretching across the cement?

I don't mind doing it hardwired to the garage, but I really hate to have yet another cord stretched across the cement outside.  It's not possible to do something like that and then transmit wirelessly to the RV from the garage?

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@tntpointer wrote:

I have the Westell 9100EM set up as a MoCA router on one end of my house.  I need to extend the wireless range to an RV that sits on the opposite side of my house.  In the RV, An HP laptop gets good reception, but  my MacBookPro can only sporadically connect.  We have a STB out there that is working fine.  However, we just installed a Blu-Ray player and it only gets 2 bars on the connection.

Thanks

TJ

The other poster said to use a MOCA extender such as the Actiontec ecb200 or a used Actiontec routre from ebay.

As you already have an stb out there, either of those devices would connect to the the coax, using a splitter, that the stb is connected to.

If you don't want to do that then you can use any wireless extender availabe.  However streaming video via wireless is somewhat questionable and if I were you I'd go the moca route, probably using an Actiontec router, and then connect the blu-ray player via ethernet cable to it.

tntpointer
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok, thanks to both of you for the replies.  Looks like I'll be using that method.  Hopefully, I understand the directions enough to not have any problems.