Re: Netflix is slow lately on FIOS
PCTechNJ

I just got done with tech support with both Netflix and Verizon .. whom are pretty much pointing the finger at each other.  I have (3) devices that will randomly stream HD (and sometimes SuperHD).  However, the past 3 days have been terrible and Netflix is constantly stuck at 480p resolution.

I've reboot and reset the router (just for giggles).  My PC is hardwired, no HD, while my PS3 and WiiU won't even get HD.  The only time I got SuperHD running was Christmas day.

Its completely frustrating.

0 Likes
Namronorman
Contributor - Level 2

@PCTechNJ wrote:

I just got done with tech support with both Netflix and Verizon .. whom are pretty much pointing the finger at each other.  I have (3) devices that will randomly stream HD (and sometimes SuperHD).  However, the past 3 days have been terrible and Netflix is constantly stuck at 480p resolution.

I've reboot and reset the router (just for giggles).  My PC is hardwired, no HD, while my PS3 and WiiU won't even get HD.  The only time I got SuperHD running was Christmas day.

Its completely frustrating.

PCTechNJ,

It's not just you, it's most people on Verizon and it's not Netflix. People love to bring up Cogent in defense of Verizon but that argument is no longer relevant. Most Netflix content being served to Verizon customers is via Level 3 now. Level 3, like Verizon, is a tier 1 provider and they SHOULD have settlement free peering with each other.

Verizon is treating Level 3 like Cogent now. Verizon also has its own streaming product (Redbox Instant) that "competes" with Netflix. Peering points between Verizon and Level 3 have been beyond saturated lately.

I'm not sure what alternatives you have ISP wise but I suggest you start shopping around. Verizon has been a real bully with anyone that provides transit for Netflix since the launch of their own streaming service.

Webdango

I happen to have a VPN that goes through Miami, I'm in Tampa. Netflix shennanigans started about a month ago - limited to no streaming during primetime.

Flowing the thread, I used the ctr-alt-shift-s to check the stream.

Straight connection: 560

Through the VPN: 3000

So something go on here in Tampa with FiOS limiting Netflix throughput....

0 Likes
Vikingdude1

I have experiencing this a lot.  In fact I was convinced that I should upgrade my router and then it would be fixed.  I now have upgraded my router have my blu-ray plugged into the router and Netflix still only gets 1-2 mbpps and is constantly buffering.  Amazon runs fine though.  Thoughts?

0 Likes
Namronorman
Contributor - Level 2

@Vikingdude wrote:

I have experiencing this a lot.  In fact I was convinced that I should upgrade my router and then it would be fixed.  I now have upgraded my router have my blu-ray plugged into the router and Netflix still only gets 1-2 mbpps and is constantly buffering.  Amazon runs fine though.  Thoughts?

Switch ISPs if there's an alternative in your area. If no other options available, try a VPN or something. Netflix is using quality transit these days and Verizon is answering by letting peering points between them and Level 3 become saturated.

0 Likes
db909
Contributor - Level 3

@Namronorman wrote:

@Vikingdude wrote:

Switch ISPs if there's an alternative in your area. If no other options available, try a VPN or something. Netflix is using quality transit these days and Verizon is answering by letting peering points between them and Level 3 become saturated.

I'd suggest the VPN route, dslreports is full of people complaining about netflix on virtually every ISP.  It seems to be where you are and not the ISP, so swapping ISPs may accomplish nada.

0 Likes
Namronorman
Contributor - Level 2

@db909 wrote:
I'd suggest the VPN route, dslreports is full of people complaining about netflix on virtually every ISP.  It seems to be where you are and not the ISP, so swapping ISPs may accomplish nada.

Depending on the ISP, yes. I frequent DSLReports too much. If Vikingdude doesn't like what Verizon is doing and an alternative ISP is comparable in most ways plus is an OpenConnect partner, that would most likely solve his problems.

0 Likes
db909
Contributor - Level 3

@Namronorman wrote:

plus is an OpenConnect partner, that would most likely solve his problems.

That is a huge IF

"Major ISPs around the world have already connected to Open Connect, including Frontier, British Telecom, TDC, Clearwire, GVT, Telus, Bell Canada, Virgin, Cablevision, Google Fiber, Telmex, and more."

https://signup.netflix.com/openconnect

Not exactly a whos who of US ISPs.

0 Likes
Namronorman
Contributor - Level 2

@db909 wrote:

@Namronorman wrote:

plus is an OpenConnect partner, that would most likely solve his problems.

That is a huge IF

"Major ISPs around the world have already connected to Open Connect, including Frontier, British Telecom, TDC, Clearwire, GVT, Telus, Bell Canada, Virgin, Cablevision, Google Fiber, Telmex, and more."

https://signup.netflix.com/openconnect

Not exactly a whos who of US ISPs.

Well, I know that RCN is a partner and is not on that list. A few people on RCN that I know have been pretty content with overall service including Netflix.

0 Likes
db909
Contributor - Level 3

lol ok, Comcast is about 57 times bigger than RCN, TWC 27 times bigger, Uverse 23 times bigger.

http://www.netmarketshare.com

I would agree he should look at his ISP options and probably would be best served at researching how that ISP does with Netflix in that locale.  Statistically not very likely to bear any fruit, but it could.

0 Likes