Re: New IP address after 2 great years...
irbrenda
Contributor - Level 1

@tns wrote:

Speed really shouldn't be effected by such minor IP address changes.  ITs different if you end up with an IP that some site, or sites have chosen to block.

Well, for me totally different  IP did make a big difference.  In fact, when I did the IP locator with each diff. IP address, I was either quite far from my home town or a bit nearer to it.  The IP now is actually in NJ, a very short distance from where I'm located at the end of  Staten Island, and my download speed difference is quite a bit faster,  can't say the same for upload but overall I am happily  over the 35/35 pkg. I'm provisioned for....the way I was 2 years ago.  

The only sites I've used to check for the sudden variations in the speed are the Verizon FIOS test site, Speedtest.net, Speakeasy, and one or two others.  I do not go to many other sites other than my usual business sites and banking.  Even my homepages had been slow to load, esp on Chrome.  I was thinking possibly its the browsers....been using Chrome lately, and less lately Firefox, and even more infrequently, if ever, IE., which I've grown to hate.   I amalso  hardwired to my Macbook Pro because even the wireless became very laggy, but then again, it's a Mac using Safari.   Hardwired is fine, but not my choice!  I am primarily on my Windows desktop machine running Vista Ultimate....another awful OS.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@bonibee wrote:

Well, for me totally different  IP did make a big difference.  In fact, when I did the IP locator with each diff. IP address, I was either quite far from my home town or a bit nearer to it.  The IP now is actually in NJ, a very short distance from where I'm located at the end of  Staten Island, and my download speed difference is quite a bit faster,  can't say the same for upload but overall I am happily  over the 35/35 pkg. I'm provisioned for....the way I was 2 years ago.  

The only sites I've used to check for the sudden variations in the speed are the Verizon FIOS test site, Speedtest.net, Speakeasy, and one or two others.  I do not go to many other sites other than my usual business sites and banking.  Even my homepages had been slow to load, esp on Chrome.  I was thinking possibly its the browsers....been using Chrome lately, and less lately Firefox, and even more infrequently, if ever, IE., which I've grown to hate.   I amalso  hardwired to my Macbook Pro because even the wireless became very laggy, but then again, it's a Mac using Safari.   Hardwired is fine, but not my choice!  I am primarily on my Windows desktop machine running Vista Ultimate....another awful OS.

What's wrong with Vista? I've been using it since the Beta days and the real problem with it is the fact that when it came out, no one knew how to code for it. Microsoft really did a sharp turn when it came down to how locked down the OS was with applications and how you essentially run on a sudo-basis if you compare Vista to Linux distributions. You never log in as the root/Administrator directly as you used to in XP. Granted, Windows 7 is a bit more optimized, I can give you that out of the box but with some optimizations it starts up a bit faster than 7 does out of the box and consumes the same amount of memory. It runs hapilly on my gaming machine which is quite beefy in the hardware department.

0 Likes
irbrenda
Contributor - Level 1

@Smith6612 wrote:

"What's wrong with Vista? I've been using it since the Beta days and the real problem with it is the fact that when it came out, no one knew how to code for it. Microsoft really did a sharp turn when it came down to how locked down the OS was with applications and how you essentially run on a sudo-basis if you compare Vista to Linux distributions. You never log in as the root/Administrator directly as you used to in XP. Granted, Windows 7 is a bit more optimized, I can give you that out of the box but with some optimizations it starts up a bit faster than 7 does out of the box and consumes the same amount of memory. It runs hapilly on my gaming machine which is quite beefy in the hardware department."

Same here, used since Beta days.  However, I had to disable the UAC on Vista because certain business apps had issues.  ( I'm the only one on my PC so I don't have any privacy issues to be concerned with, and I'm in  home businesses....PC tech and mainly an electrical contractor. An old female too!)  What I do have issues with is not being able to be on the Internet, and at the same time, have to go to an app on my PC, and suddenly get the "Windows Explorer has stopped working and needs to shut down,etc..."  I also cannot access areas of my own Control Panel, such as the Administrative Events, even as an admin., where I get the same message.  This has been a very longstanding ongoing issue which I just deal with my own way.   It's quirky for me to a degree.  My business apps tho do run flawlessly.

0 Likes