No Verizon Hotspot access for android smartphones?
LarryBK

Hi,

I signed up with Verizon for FIOS a few months ago.  One perk Cablevision/Optimum offers is access to free WIFI on the go at hundreds of hotspots here in NJ. 

I had heard Verizon also had WIFI hotspots, but now it looks like they are *only* accesible if you use a laptop *and* have downloaded software onto the laptop specific to Verizon WIFI access.  Is this true?

I have an older Android based phone, running Gingerbread (Android 2.3), with which I can easily access free WIFI networks, including Cable company WIFI when I had a password to them.  However, if the above is true looks I am out of luck as a FIOS customer in accessing Verizon WIFI hotspots.

If anyone can confirm the above or tell me how I can access hotspots I would really appreciate the help!

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: No Verizon Hotspot access for android smartphones?
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Verizon depends on Boingo for it's WiFi on alternate platforms.

Verizon Broadband Customers Get Free Boingo Wi-Fi

Go to the Google play store or Apple App store and download Boingo,\.

You may still have to create a wifi user name at www.verizon.com/wifi

Kestrel3
Contributor - Level 2

First, you need to be on a Windows computer in order to register for Verizon wi-fi.   

Although it might be possible to connect via the Boingo app or by simply using your Verizon wi-fi account credentials ,  the official Verizon website says that Verizon wi-fi is only for Windows laptops (no iOS, Android, or Mac OS support).  However,  the Verizon site has contradictory info in 3 different places, one says the latest Windows supported is Vista, then another place says 7, then yet  another say 8, so it's obviously in need of updating.

You may also be able to log on to Boingo directly with a laptop without the Verizon software (which would be the only way on a Mac) by selecting roaming login as Verizon Business and adding "@verizon.net" to your verizon wifi username

See this site for more info:

http://wyang0.blogspot.com/2012/01/verizon-wi-fi-for-all-devices-mac-linux.html

tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

Verizon depends on Boingo for it's WiFi on alternate platforms.

Verizon Broadband Customers Get Free Boingo Wi-Fi

Go to the Google play store or Apple App store and download Boingo,\.

You may still have to create a wifi user name at www.verizon.com/wifi

Just the service I was looking to mention in my post.  Verizon used to have lots of Hotspots.  Now it has very few.  And although they push the software, it used to be that as long as you were signed up you could logon to their hotspots.  The software just made it easy to find and recongize the Verizon Hotspots.

I had wondered if they had sold some of their Hotspots to Boingo and made a deal to offer all the Boingo WiFI hotspots.