Re: Northern Virginia - FiOS Inconsistent (pathpings with packet loss identified and attached)
whysoserious1

Continuation of previous 2 posts, this time looking at some specific winMTR results from some popular internet places as well as some places I go to a lot. This serves to illustrate the packet loss issues that are happening.

Section 3: winMTR results

3a. winMTR (youtube.com)

• packet loss occuring on an ALTER.NET server, which is a Verizon business property
  • crazy highest ping on that one server, although the average time and packet loss are great
  • packet loss occurs further down the line as well

3b. winMTR Starcraft2 server (IP from battle.net support - 12.129.202.154)

• One of the things I really enjoy is playing Starcraft 2 with some of my free time
  • As you can see from this test, it is COMPLETELY unplayable with this kind of packetloss, it makes it laggy to the point of pure impossibility. 
  • Once again, packet loss starts to show up at an ALTER.NET server

3c. winMTR wikipedia.org

• massive packet loss - this is not going to setup for a good connection

3d. winMTR tomshardware.com

• better on the first several hops - notie it's a different LCR verizon server than the disastrous one seen when I winMTR-ed wikipedia
  • again - high packet loss on an ALTER.NET server

3e. winMTR espn.com

• lots of packet loss along the hops
  • ALTER.NET showing packet loss on an early hop

3f. winMTR washingtonpost.com

• significantly better performance in the immediate area

Thoughts:

• I am not an expert, let me put that out there as a disclaimer. However, I feel like local issues (my router, wiring, configuration, etc.) can be ruled out here.
  • Reminder that I am now using a MI424WR Rev I. 3rd Gen Gigabit FiOS Router on a WIRED connection
  • There is good performance - to isolated parts of the internet. However, there is much more that is crippled by these slow speeds, packet loss, latency, etc.
  • I am paying a lot of money for Verizon FiOS service, I just committed to a 2-year plan (can bail in the first month without a cancellation fee...), and would like to see returns on my money.
  • I do not expect to have 75/35 with 10ms pings all the time, but I think it is safe to expect that streaming video should go smoothly, playing online games should be a breeze, and casual internet browsing shouldn't be hampered by lockups and delays. 

Anyone with more technical knowledge who looks at this, please provide some feedback. Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Northern Virginia - FiOS Inconsistent (pathpings with packet loss identified and attached)
cdubz

If you check out my thread my results are worst. I am getting 10-12% packet losses down the line at some verizon hops.

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

Again ping on these intermediate servers is often meaningless.  Many such servers are configured to not respond, or to treat them at the lowest service level.  I.e. When the servier is busy they will time out in the normal time that the normal ping testers wait for a response.