ONT models and power
bbuont

On Saturday we had a power outage of close to two hours.  Fios services went down after power was back for four hours.  I put a new battery in and fios was good for about five hours before failing again.  Seemed like the BBU was not charging the battery.  I called Verizon to schedule service and on Monday they replaced the BBU and power supply.  Our ONT is from 2007 and does not work with a discharged or missing battery even though AC power is available.  So we were without all three Fios services from Saturday night until Monday around noon.  Are there newer model ONTs that do not have this fatal flaw?  That is they do work without a charged battery?   If so, how to convince Verizon to replace it as the tech today just says the ONT is fine?

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: ONT models and power
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

If you have the old cyberpower bbu and psu there will be one led on the front of the psu. The newer model has 2 leds on the front and should correct the issue that you are having.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

YEs there are models that work without a battery being required.  In fact they do new installs with the battery being a extra cost item.  Hopefully they replaced your BBU with one that will work this way.  Whole ONT normally needs to be replaced in some cases, such as ones where the BBU is integral to the ONT.

0 Likes
bbuont

Sounds like I should do a test.

Thanks

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

The problem was the bbu not the ont. The battery in the bbu was probably older than 3 years and when the bbu sensed that you lost power the bbu blew. Even when the power was restored it would not have corrected the problem. You just need a new bbu and psu and everything will be fine. The Cyberpower bbus are almost always the culprit.

0 Likes
bbuont

I installed the battery new in January.  My six year old battery died in January and I had the same issue (all three services down with AC power available) until I put in the new battery.  If the battery is dead (as in January), or not charging because of a blown BBU the services should continue to work if AC power is available.  Not doing so is a bad design and makes for unhappy customers.  Would the new BBU and PSU not have this issue when the battery is dead or pulled?  I.e. the ONT will keep working?

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

If you have the old cyberpower bbu and psu there will be one led on the front of the psu. The newer model has 2 leds on the front and should correct the issue that you are having.

0 Likes
bbuont

The new PSU does have two LEDs (Power OK and Protected).  The old one had just one.  Thanks for the specifics.  That's what I was looking for.

0 Likes