On hold forever with Verizon FIOS telephone support
daninhim
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm a FIOS customer, and twice now I've had problems with my internet connection going down. Both times it was some mysterious setting that Verizon had to adjust on my router. Both times, I started by calling 1-800-VERIZON. I start by using the automated voice response troubleshooting feature, which confirms there is a problem with the router but fails to fix it. I then get forward to Verizon tech support, and get stuck on hold. For at least a half hour. With no mention of where I am in the queue, or with any idea of how long my wait will be. The first time, I waited a full hour. 

To get around this the first time, I used a laptop with a cellular card in it to connect to the internet, get to the Verizon sales page, and start up a chat window with a sales rep. At that point I explained I was extremely annoyed, and they quickly got me to a chat window with a support rep, who solved my problem in minutes. The most recent time (tonight) I used my iPhone to connect to Verizon's support site and did a chat through there. Waited about 5 minutes, and got someone who did something mysterious to the router and fixed the problem.

My point is Verizon's phone support is USELESS. And it makes me wonder what happens in households without a smartphone or laptop with a cell card. 

VERIZON, FIX THIS!!!!

My recommendations:

1. The system should offer an automatic call back if the wait time is too long

2. there should be a notification of where the caller is in hte queue, and how long the wait will be

3. If the automated voice response unit confirms there's a problem, my call should go to an advanced queue with a shorter wait, since most of the preliminary work is done.

Three strikes, and it will be back to Comcast for me....