Outbound SSH connection seemingly blocked
govee

Has anyone had any issues trying to connect to a SSH server outside of their network?

I keep getting network timeouts, and wireshark shows a syn is being sent from my host behind Verizon router, but, a syn ack from the outside SSH server is never received.

I am not trying to host a SSH server, I just want to connect to one outside of my network.

0 Likes
Re: Outbound SSH connection seemingly blocked
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

I use SSH all the time to connect to my web host.  Be aware that many web hosting providers use an alternate port for SSH (like port 222) and also sometimes lock down the SSH access to a specific source IP address.  Not sure if this applies to your scenario or not.

Would help to know what router type you are using (and I assume this is a FiOS and not a DSL connection since you posted in the FiOS internet forum).

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Besides what lasagna said,

I would want to make sure than the DNS Servers show up as green using the DNS Server checking tool that is addressed on

http://www.grc.com/dns/operation.htm

redtape1

I'm having this same issue.  I can't connect to an external server with a SFTP connection on port 22.  Standard FTP on port 21 is fine.  Did you find a resolution to this.  My issue started two days ago.  Before that, just fine!  

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

As stated previously ... SSH works just fine.  I use it all the time.  Check with your provider to make sure that they haven't changed the port on which they are running SSH (mine, for instance, is running it on port 222).  If they are using a different port, you will need to specify that on the connection string.

0 Likes
SamRastin
Enthusiast - Level 1

I was experiencing the same problem. While digging through the Verizon router interface I noticed my security settings were set to max hence blocking all but a few services. SSH was not in the list of services and I had to manually add it. As soon as I applied the changes my SSH connection started to working.