Parental control feature in actiontec router
seeyang

Hi,

Is it true that the Parental control is only allow you to setup one rule per computer.  Here is what i would like to accomplish.

- rule #1 deny access for comp #1 to facebook.com from 9 - 5 

- rule #2 deny access for comp #1 to youtube.com from 5 - 10

I cannot seem to config such rules in the parental control feature in my fios router.

any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Peter

0 Likes
Re: Parental control feature in actiontec router
Hubrisnxs
Legend

you should be able to do what you want to do with the router, you just need to set up multiple rules.  

BUT I think you might have better luck doing that with software.  

Verizon Family protection parental controls is free and simple to use. Download Now.

Provide a Safer Browsing Experience for Your Family

Parental Controls gives you the tools to block access to certain websites and let you choose who can use the Internet and when.

jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

The use of parental controls on the router will decrease your download speed by about 1/2 for all users connected to the router.  This feature is performed in software and not hardware and thus the reason for the slow down.  As the previous poster mentioned if you want parental controls install software on the individual PC and avoid enabling on the actiontec router.

Kazzee
Enthusiast - Level 3

Great feedback on loss of speed!  Had same issue with a parental rule I created to avoid access to a particular website a couple of weeks ago and daughter complained recently as to how slow her internet browsing has been.  Discovered today that she was running 1/2 of normal speed.  Deleted rule and speed immediately back to spec.  Elected to add the website to the Windows HOSTS file to avoid access to it.  In my case, this is an acceptable solution.  Unfortunately, not a solution for user seeyang.  Agree that use of parental software may be a better solution.

Now I am curious whether adding parental rules to a router and causing a significant drop in speed in an issue only with Actiontec or other routers in general.  Technically, I wonder what is going on that causes such a significant slowdown.

Justin46
Legend

Another option is to use OpenDNS. Not only do they provide excellent (imho) DNS services, but they offer significant control facilities to manage access to various kinds of sites, and to specific sites. They offer free and fee services, but access controls are available in the free version, so you might want to check them out.

OpenDNS

I have been using the OpenDNS service for several years, very satisified with it.

Keller, TX 76248