Personal Website Access
Scottiesfan
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had created and had my own working website, prior to moving to Verizon, using Dreamweaver software. I Ftped that website up to the verizon server successfully (I can see the list of pages in WSFTP and Dreamweaver). When I use the requested format to access these pages of 'mysite.verizon.net/username/primary(default)name/secondaryname' I get a 'not found' (404) error. I tried to access the website using your site builder and get a forbidden error (403).

I figured I had something wrong so I reviewed my web pages. The only thing different appears to be Verizon wanting the web page extension to be '.htm' as opposed to my use of '.html'. I renamed my page extensions, reloaded them and still they are not found. The 'Help' pages are of no help in this area. I tried to use the Verizon 'site builder' page which just loops back to itself and does nothing. Can someone give some insight into what is happening?

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Personal Website Access
Scottiesfan
Enthusiast - Level 2

To All,

Thanks for all of your input.

My Problem: I could not access my website files.

My Resolution: Correct my spelling.

My Excuse: Bad eyesight. Not that you care but I feel better saying that.

My Resolution: Move a little slower and give things a second look so I don't shoot myself in the foot (I hate when that happens).

Thanks for the support!

View solution in original post

Justin46
Legend

I don't know if this helps any, but I created a personal website a couple of years ago just to see how it worked. Unfortunately I don't remember the details, but I just accessed my site by using the following URL:

http://mysite.verizon.net/username

where username is my MyVerizon login name. Your initial page by default must be named index.html; it can be changed to something else if you want in My Site Settings. And .html is not required as best as I remember, it can be .htm.

Hope this helps.

Keller, TX 76248

Scottiesfan
Enthusiast - Level 2

Justin,

I just tried your suggestion and got a 403 'Forbidden' error. Thanks for the reply. Still trying...

somegirl
Champion - Level 3

If you're getting a 403 error, I'd check the files that you're uploading and make sure you haven't set the permissions wonky. (Also, make sure you don't have them open in your editor when you upload them.)

Scottiesfan
Enthusiast - Level 2

somegirl,

Wonky permissions? I don't think so. Set to 644 (-rw-r--r--) for the html. Or is that an issue? Please let me know - not my forte. As far as being open in the editor I suspect that was not my issue. I saved any files open in Dreamweaver and then FTPed them up. Still trying... Thanks for the reply.

Do any Verizon tech reps read this forum? If so, strangely silent after so many views of this post.

Hubrisnxs
Legend

Verizon Reps rarely poke their head in the forums, but do from time to time.  If you need help from VZ directly, then you may want to use the contact us option, and select Chat Support.  There is no over the phone support for the Personal websites, so chat support may be your best option.   

Scottiesfan
Enthusiast - Level 2

To All,

Thanks for all of your input.

My Problem: I could not access my website files.

My Resolution: Correct my spelling.

My Excuse: Bad eyesight. Not that you care but I feel better saying that.

My Resolution: Move a little slower and give things a second look so I don't shoot myself in the foot (I hate when that happens).

Thanks for the support!

Hubrisnxs
Legend

ha!   it happens to the best of us,  thanks for reporting back, best of luck and godspeed.

JAG107

Tried to put a link on my home page and it has frozen the page from the link down. Getting a 404 error.  I can not edit or delete the link. Any suggestions. Verizon tech support is useless in this matter. Thanks, Jim

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@JAG107 wrote:

Tried to put a link on my home page and it has frozen the page from the link down. Getting a 404 error.  I can not edit or delete the link. Any suggestions. Verizon tech support is useless in this matter. Thanks, Jim

Try posting as a new thread instead of hijacking this one.

This thread is correctly marked as solved.