PlayStation 3 Disconnection
heyimstephen
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hey guys, I was hoping to get some insite on whats been going on with my connection to my router. I have been having continuous problems with my internet and I have been disconnecting more frequently as the days go on. It started a few days before the 4rth of July and hasn't stopped. If someone could help me out, that would be great.

The problem is when I'm playing online my router (that sits 3 feet away) completely loses connection and the green blinking lights disappear for 4-5 seconds only to return as a red light while it trys to regain connection, but by then I have completely lost all connection to the game and I end up dropping. My router is the MI424WR. The disconnection happens more in the evening than it does during the day. And I am the only one at my house that uses the internet so it couldn't be "everyone" online at once. Thanks for the help in advance guys.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: PlayStation 3 Disconnection
Hubrisnxs
Legend

well if it's fios you should probably open a chat support session.   click verizon's contact us link at the bottom of the page. 

Your first steps should be to check the physical connections, just disconnect them and reconnect them (even if you think they are fine)

Reboot the router, there is an on off switch on the back.

Reboot the ONT 

If that doesn't work, then you might have a bad router, so you can usually do a free over the counter exchange, at the verizon store. 

Last resort, call Verizon and let them know all the things you did. 

View solution in original post

Hubrisnxs
Legend
You most likely have Line Noise and that is causing your DSL Light to drop.   Make sure it's the DSL light that goes red and then comes back, or if it's the internet light.  And pay close attention to what the DSL Light is doing, that is also important. 

First thing to do when having this problem is to unplug everything except the DSL modem. Everything meaning all phones, answering machines, fax machines, satellite dish or digital cable systems, alarm systems..... Anything plugged into a phone jack.

Start with a standard plug in phone, not a cordless, with a filter attached, plug it in, and hit any one number to get rid of the dial tone. Listen. If it's clean go to the next jack. This will check all jacks.

If it's found to be in one jack, have that serviced or replaced.

If all jacks are clean then leave that one plugged in where it belongs. Now start with each additional phone and plug them in, one at a time each with a filter and check for the noise. If you still can't figure it out let the Tech check it out. If you do not have wire maintenance on your service you will be charged if the problem is found to be on the inside wiring. That could get expensive. Do you have an alarm system? DirecTV? Cable? Cordless phones? Computer modem? Fax machine? Water/Gas meter on a telco line? All need a filter on them. Could also be a defective jack?

With an alarm system you do need to have a separate line run for DSL. Alarms and DSL do not play nicely at all. Even if the alarm is not functional it still wreaks havoc on DSL. They use a special type of jack for the Alarm and I have never seen a filter for it. I think it is call a RJ38, but don't hold me to that.

0 Likes
heyimstephen
Enthusiast - Level 1

The light that turns red is the Internet light. I don't think my router connects to any phone jack, but I can check the lines anyways.. And where is this DSL light located?

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

the dsl light should be on your modem, it sounds like you might have a fios connection?  can you give the make and model of your modem from verizon?

0 Likes
heyimstephen
Enthusiast - Level 1

I think I do have a Fios Connection, because there is no modem. Just the router with 2 cords going into it. A black skinny wire that goes into the outlet in the wall and a white thick cord that goes into the wall an outside into a white box. The only other cord is my ethernet cable. No modem.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

well if it's fios you should probably open a chat support session.   click verizon's contact us link at the bottom of the page. 

Your first steps should be to check the physical connections, just disconnect them and reconnect them (even if you think they are fine)

Reboot the router, there is an on off switch on the back.

Reboot the ONT 

If that doesn't work, then you might have a bad router, so you can usually do a free over the counter exchange, at the verizon store. 

Last resort, call Verizon and let them know all the things you did.