Playstation 3 hardwired using fios
ops2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm currently with cablevision and have my ps3 hardwired to a d-link wireless router which is connected to their modem. I have Verizon coming to set up fios and what I would like to know is can you still hardwire a ps3 the same way. We at one time tried the ps3 wireless and don't want to go down that road as online gaming was very laggy, disconnects etc.

Thanks for any help.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Playstation 3 hardwired using fios
ops2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for your help...

View solution in original post

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@ops2 wrote:

I'm currently with cablevision and have my ps3 hardwired to a d-link wireless router which is connected to their modem. I have Verizon coming to set up fios and what I would like to know is can you still hardwire a ps3 the same way. We at one time tried the ps3 wireless and don't want to go down that road as online gaming was very laggy, disconnects etc.

Thanks for any help.

Verizon will provide a new router. It will probably be an Actiontec but they have used Westell in some areas. Here is a link

http://www22.verizon.com/ResidentialHelp/FiOSInternet/Networking/User+Guides/User+Guides.htm

I hope this information helps. Hardwired will work just fine. Here is more information about the install.

http://www22.verizon.com/Residential/FiOSInternet/Installation/Installation.htm

0 Likes
ops2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks

So then my next question would be, is the router hardwired to the ONT so I could plug the ps3 into the router like I have now. Or does the ps3 count as a 2nd computer and would be wired from the ONT to the ps3?

Sorry to be a pain..my kids will kill me if I mess this up Smiley Happy

Thanks

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

1 You can connect the PS3 to the VZ router

or

2 You can connect the PS3 to the Dlink router and connect that to the VZ router

It's your choice.  If you select option 2 you just need to ensure the Dlink default subnet is not 192.168.1.x as that is the default that the VZ router will use.

0 Likes
ops2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for your help...

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Dlink uses 192.168.0.1 for their subnet. So in your case it will be perfect. You can just use the Verizon router just like a modem and connect your Dlink, just like you have it now. I have the same kind of setup myself. The Verizon router as a modem and a Dlink behind it with all my devices connected to the Dlink. Works like a dream.

0 Likes
ops2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks space, I'll be sure to not let the tech leave my house till it worksSmiley Happy

0 Likes
arkarkwin

HI

I just like to add this info to your question. I got Verizon Fios with Actiontec Wireless router and I use PS3 as my media extender between my computer and HD TV. I use PS3 wireless for connection. The router is about 15- 18 feets away from PS3 and the movie streaming, online games playing and Netflix streaming are all smooth. Sometime, I download HD movies into my computer and stream it from PS3 with wireless connection. It just like Blueray, its smooth. Netflix ( online instant watch) gave me about 720 to 1080i quality from their movies. Sometime there is no different between Netflix DVD/Blueray disc and Netflix instant watch streaming from PS3 through Actiontec router.

I do not work for either Actiontec, Sony nor Verizon. Getting Actiontec router with Fios and PS3 is the best wireless media experience I ever had.

So go ahead and try wireless with PS3

0 Likes
ops2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for everyones help...

0 Likes