Playstation 4 Speed
liv4lax2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just recently switched from Cox to Fios because I was told that download speeds were much better.  But so far I have had much slower speeds even though I have 50 mbps.  I don't notice much for general web browsing, but I am noticing when I play online on my PS4.  Particularly, there have been several updates that are taking forever.  It used to only take about 25 minutes.  Now, it took over 3 hours to download an update that was about 1.76GBs.  The router is located in the next room over, connected by double doors, so is only about 10 yards away.  When I ran a test to see what the download speed was on my PS4, it was only getting on the high end 6mbps and on the low end 1.5 mbps.  But when I checked the speed coming into my home, it was over 55mpbs.  How can I utilize this so that I don't have to wait hours and hours to download updates and so my connection speed doesn't cause extreme lag when playing online?  Any help would be great.  Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Playstation 4 Speed
bbinnard
Contributor - Level 3

I don't know about PS4's, but PS3's had notoriously poor wireless circuitry.  The only way I could get my PS3 to run decently was to connect it via a short coax cable to a MOCA adapter - which you can purchase from Actiontec for about $80 as I recall.  You'll also need a hi-speed coax splitter (so you'll have one coax for your TV and one for the MOCA adapter) which you can get from RadioShack for about $4.00.

liv4lax2
Enthusiast - Level 2
Thanks. I think I know what a couple of those words mean 🙂
0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

In short, MoCA is Ethernet over coax.  FiOS uses two MoCA channels on the same coax; one for the WAN internet link from the ONT to the router(*), and a second for a LAN link from the router to the set top boxes.  A MoCA adapter can access the LAN as well to provide a Ethernet jack anywhere there is a coax jack.

The problem is most likely WiFi.  To prove it's the problem, you need to test with a wired connection.  You can do that with a long Ethernet cable, adding a MoCA / Ethernet bridge near the PlayStation or moving equipment around.

If you don't want to run a long Ethernet cable or purchase a MoCA adapter, you could temporarily move the router near the PlayStation and connect with a short Ethernet cable.  Of course, this only works if you have a coax jack near the game.

Once you've confirmed the problem is WiFi, you can then decide if you want to try to solve the WiFI problem or figure out how to run with a wired connection.

(*) Some systems use Ethernet from the ONT to the router, but most use MoCA.

Good Luck.

bbinnard
Contributor - Level 3

Not meaning to split hairs, the prior post is correct about how to determine if the PS4 problem is related to it's wireless function.  I'd bet that it is.  But according to the FIOS Tech I spoke to there are actually 3 different sets of frequencies (not really channels, although I guess you could call them that) that FIOS puts on it's fiber cable.  These 3 are for Internet, TV, and VOIP telephone.  

These 3 frequencies are extremely high - much higher than coax cable can handle - which is why FIOS has the capability to provide very high speed communications - and much higher than we hav access to today.  (Typical Internet speeds in Japan and South Korea are 100MB.)

Becuase the fewquencies onthe FIOS cable are so high there has to be a box to reduce them to frequencies regular coax can handle.  That's what the big ONT box does.

The ONT (Optical Network Termination) box takes these 3 fequencies and puts 2 of them them on the coax cable (TV, Internet) and puts the 3rd one on the copper phone wire in your home. ONT's also have the ability to separate the TV and Internet signals so that only TV goes on coax, Internet goes to a regular RJ45 jack, and of course telephone stays the same.  This is for people who have their homes pre-wired with Ethernet cables as well as coax cables for TV, and of course regular copper phone cables.

The MOCA box has only 2 ports: an input  coax connection to connect to your coax cable (it expects to find the combined Ethernet & TV signals on that coax cable) and an output RJ45 port for a standard Ethernet cable.  The MOCA box separates the Internet frequencies from the TV ones and sends them (Internet) to the RJ45 port. You can connect any standard Ethernet device (like a PS4 or computer or even a router) to this port.

liv4lax2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks to all who responded.  I will try it out and hopefully will report that it worked great!

0 Likes
Tyy1

Does anyone know how to fix this? I pay 2 much to not play ps4. If you know a fix send 2{edited for privacy} .My contrack is almost up,i will switch providers over this._.Pleas help

0 Likes