Poor Netflix Streaming and Customer Service
colester521
Enthusiast - Level 1
Recently I have been having issues streaming Netflix content especially at peak hours when I top at 375kbps if it can play without buffering. On off peak hours I can get up to 1750kbps. However using a VPN at anytime of the day and I can stream at 3000kbps in a Web browser or 5800 in the Windows 8 native client.

I contacted support using the online chat and was asked to do a few traceroutes and speed tests. It was determined that the network team would look into the issue and contact me. I was given a ticket number and told I would be contacted. After the waiting period passed with no contact from anyone at Verizon I call the customer support number to follow up on the ticket and told it was closed without a reason. The tech on the phone tried to help but was unable to solve the issue, however he did contact a floor supervisor and determined that this is a known issue. He said Verizon and Netflix are working on interconnecting their networks and the estimated completion is the end of September. Unfortunately there was nothing he could do to fix the issue. The supervisor also said there is nothing he can do and I really just have to suck it up until the issue is resolved.

This was not an acceptable solution since I am paying several hundred dollars a month to Verizon and not getting what is expected. He transferred me to billing and accounts where all they could do is tell me that me ETF is currently $80 and that if I am transferring my number the account needs to remain active until that time. Also that sometimes big companies sometimes have disputes that affect customers.

Having been a FiOS customer since it was available in my area (5-6+ years) and a wireless customer 10+ years it was disappointed to discover that the only options available to me were to suck it up and wait, pay for a VPN and work around it or leave for Comcast where this wouldn't be an issue.

On the bright side all the Netflix issues should be resolved in only one to two more months.
Tags (2)