Port Forwarding, MI424WR
levesq56

I'm not even sure I'll give enough information here, because I don't really know what I'm talking about.  However, I've been working with a couple of "technical" people from my office.

Essentially, I'm trying to connect two devices (Yamaha Disklavier Pianos) over my FIOS connection (for a process called Remote Lesson) and need to utilize port forwarding.  I've tried the instructions on the www.actiontec.com website (Basic Port Forwarding on the MI424WR Verion Fios Router), but have been unable to connect successfully.

Basically, here's the two things I need to do (cut and pasted from a technical document draft).  Can someone please advise what might be going wrong?   I could also forward the entire "connection" document to someone who might want to take a look at it and get a clearer picture.

At any rate, here are steps 2 and 3 of the process we're trying to do:

2. Port Forwarding for Remote Lesson (WAN to LAN)                                    

- Port 58092 is used in both TCP and UDP by default.                                      

- Note: You can choose any port unless it has already used.                            

- Please configure a system to forward the access of this port to Disklavier.    

3. Release of the port to the Internet (LAN to WAN)                                      

- If the access of port 58092 is filtered, please release this port in both TCP and UDP.                    

Note: If your partner has configured another port number, please release that port in both TCP and UDP.      

Port setting table

PORT FORWARDING (WAN TO LAN):  IP Address (original LAN Address)

Port Number (origin)

Protocol:  Both TCP and UDP

RELEASE OF THE PORT (LAN TO WAN): Port Number:  Destination or all

Protocol:  Both TCP and UDP                  

Thanks for being patient with a "newbie" - I hope someone can help.

0 Likes
Re: Port Forwarding, MI424WR
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@levesq56 wrote:

Essentially, I'm trying to connect two devices (Yamaha Disklavier Pianos) over my FIOS connection (for a process called Remote Lesson) and need to utilize port forwarding.  I've tried the instructions on the www.actiontec.com website (Basic Port Forwarding on the MI424WR Verion Fios Router), but have been unable to connect successfully.

Thanks for being patient with a "newbie" - I hope someone can help.

If you're only trying to connect the 2 devices within your local lan you do not need to do anything with port forwarding.  You would only need to add port forwarding rules if you are going to access the devices from remote sites.

The below addresses step 2 of your question.

Step 3 of your question is not needed as the actiontec does not block any port access from the LAN to the WAN

Step 2  allowing wan to lan access

If you are doing the latter then you would want to give the device fixed ip addresses, make sure they are out of the dhcp range of the actiontec router.

Then go to firewall setting

Select Port Forwarding tab

Select New Entry

add the IP address of the device in the Local Host field

Make sure Forward to Port is set as Same as incoming Port

Make sure Schedule is set as Always

Under protocols Select User defined

Make the service name whatever you want - e.g Piano

Select new server ports

Under protocols Select TCP

Under source port select single

enter 58092