Port Forwarding for VPN issues *Please help*
hamdoun1

Hello,

I have been having trouble with port forwarding when trying to open both UDP ports 4500 and 500. I am using Mac OSX Snow Leopard and have shut off my firewall. I have followed all the instructions for port forwarding (here: http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/BASIC-and-ADVANCED-Port-Forwarding-on-the-MI424WR-Verizon... and as you can see below in the image, it says to be active.image

I have tried to specify my IP as well with no luck. The open port checker still says port 4500 is closed. Im stuck and would appreciate any suggestions.

0 Likes
Re: Port Forwarding for VPN issues *Please help*
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Do you have a 2nd router and is the service active and listening at the other end? 

0 Likes
hamdoun1

Hi Hubris,

Thanks for your reply. No we do not have a second router and yes the service is active and listening (confirmed through its log).

0 Likes
hamdoun1

any other ideas? do I have to buy another router that actually does its job?

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Sorry for not checking back on this one, Your ports look good from what I can tell, I am wonderring if the problem is there or elsewhere.  You may even want to put the machine in the DMZ of the actiontec, just for a test, and see if it can get a vpn connect while completely exposed to the net.  just for a test. Also, what vpn software are you using.   You may want to take a look at the below info from actiontec, and then if you are still having trouble configuring it, actiontec will answer support questions directly, but only through their contact form,  you can't call them unfortunately unless you have a VZ rep on the phone with you.  

The router supports · VPN IPSec (VPN pass-through only), so if that is what you are trying to do, then you should be able to do it just fine with the actiontec.

Can I use the Actiontec Gateway or Router to connect to my employers VPN so that I can work from home?
Yes, the Actiontec Routers and Gateways support connecting to VPN servers. By default, Actiontec Routers and Gateways allow Client VPN traffic to pass-through. (the Actiontec will allow a connected PC to "pass-through" and connect to a remote VPN server). 

NOTE: Unless otherwise specified, Actiontec Routers and Gateways do not function as VPN endpoints. They cannot make a VPN connection directly to a VPN server, router or client. The reverse is also true, VPN routers, servers and clients cannot make a VPN connection directly to the Actiontec Router itself. (Some of the proprietary VPN applications require specific ports be opened in the Actiontec, for a successful connection. Not all VPNs use the same ports, so determine the ports used by your VPN software before attempting to forward the ports.)

Here is the user manual. It might be important to find out what revision actiontec you have, so look on the sticker, and Look for REV A  or REV C  or REV I and let us know.

0 Likes