Port Forwarding not working between Fios Router and Netgear R6200 AT ALL
alleyne04

For the past two days I've been trying to forward port 80 and port 9000 from my Fios Router to my new NetGear R6200 Router and absolutely nothing is working. I need these ports open and forwarded as I need to forward them to my surveillance system from my R6200. The problem is that port forwarding is not working AT ALL. I've literally tried EVERYTHING. I turned my firewall off completely, enabled DMZ, changed my R6200 to a static IP, turned off uPnP on both sides, and reset my router to factory settings. I'm all out of patience and ideas. This is exactly why I went out and bought the R6200 in the first place, Verizon's Routers are atrocious.

Hardware:

First Router (Gateway): Verizon Fios Aciontec  MI424WR

Second Router: NetGear R6200 Dual Band 802.11AC Router

Surveillance System DVR: Zmodo H9114 DVR

At this point I'm willing to try anything. Fios customer support knew absolutely nothing and wasted my time and if a tech is sent to my house I'm sure the same exact outcome will occur. I recall someone saying that cloning the MAC of a different REV. worked for them but I don't recall the details. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
Re: Port Forwarding not working between Fios Router and Netgear R6200 AT ALL
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

What is the connection between the two routers?  LAN-to-LAN or LAN-to-WAN?

If connected LAN-to-WAN, why?

Did you also create the port forwards in the secondary router?

What is the LAN subnet of the secondary router?

Is DHCP server enabled in the secondary router?

0 Likes
alleyne04

It's LAN to LAN and yes I have the ports forwarded on the secondary router. 

Subnet of R6200: 255.255.255.0

DHCP Server is enabled.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 As addressed in http://www.dslreports.com/faq/12506

The DHCP Server in the secondary router should be off.

#2 You only forward from the main router directly to the computer that you want to host on.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@dslr595148 wrote:

#1 As addressed in http://www.dslreports.com/faq/12506

The DHCP Server in the secondary router should be off.

#2 You only forward from the main router directly to the computer that you want to host on.

Follow this advice. Some of the problems you're having are likely due to the fact that you have two routers active trying to do the same job. Simplify your setup down to one router, and attempt to Port Forward / Trigger again. Keep UPnP off so it doesn't cause any issues, and make sure the Firewall is set to Low/No Security.

Also as a note, in some areas Verizon may still be blocking Port 80 inbound. In my area they do not block Port 80 inbound and have not for a few years now, so realistically they shouldn't be. You may wish to use GRC ShieldsUp or http://www.canyouseeme.org/ to test connectivity from outside, once you've confirmed your Port Forward entries are correct and the devices you're forwarding to are connected and "listening" for connections.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@alleyne04 wrote:

It's LAN to LAN and yes I have the ports forwarded on the secondary router. 

Subnet of R6200: 255.255.255.0

DHCP Server is enabled.

If you bridge the routers (lan to lan) you need to turn dhcp off on the secondary router and forward from the primary directly to the desired device.

Personally I use the VZ router just for the TV side so connect lan to wan and have dhcp running on both routers - make the second router a fixed ip address on the the vz subnet 192.168.1.x and define dhcp on the secondary router as a different subnet in the 192.168 range

Then forward the ports from the vz router to the fixed ip address of the second router and build a rule on the second router to point to the desired address.

0 Likes