Port forwarding streaming video to a tablet?
reshooter
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to port forward all streaming video to a tablet. I did go ahead and port forward HTTP and FTP to this tablet but ESPN3 which is normally crystal clear on my old macbook is choppy and unwatchable on my brand new tablet.

It might just be the hardware limitations of the tablet but I'd like to see if theres any other way to give streaming video priority to my tablet.

Any ideas? Thanks in advanced.

Re: Port forwarding streaming video to a tablet?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Post up the hardware specs of the Tablet. You shouldn't need to port forward at all for ESPN3.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@reshooter wrote:

I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to port forward all streaming video to a tablet. I did go ahead and port forward HTTP and FTP to this tablet but ESPN3 which is normally crystal clear on my old macbook is choppy and unwatchable on my brand new tablet.

It might just be the hardware limitations of the tablet but I'd like to see if theres any other way to give streaming video priority to my tablet.

Any ideas? Thanks in advanced.

Why would you port forward HTTP and FTP to your tablet??

Are you running a server on it? as port forwarding is only meaningful for inbound connections to some kind of listening application such as a server.  Streaming issues with espn3 will be caused by your internet connection, presumably wireless, which is not fast enough to keep up.  You may to improve your wireless signal and try again.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

If it's wireless, then try to change the wireless signal in the router,   open up a browser, type http://192.168.1.1 and put your username (admin) and your password (usually the serial number of the router)

once your in, on the first column of info click "change wireless settings" and then go to the channels (usually opt 3)  and then experiment, with all three, 1, 6 and 11.  (don't use any of the other channel numbers)  

one of those channels will be stronger than the other.    probably give you better performance.  

reshooter
Enthusiast - Level 1

I tried changing the wireless channel, it made no difference. It must be this tablet isn't powerful enough because my macbook on the same connection almost streams espn and other high quality streams in HD. THe tablet is too choppy low quality to watch at all

I have a HP TouchPad US, 16G, 1.2GHz, Wi-Fi

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sounds like you've nailed the issue then. The HP Tablet would probably fare better if the streaming site had a player better optimized to make sure of available hardware. The last I checked, even in earlier, non-HD revisions of ESPN360, the player was always a pig to CPU usage. Had no problem consuming close to all of an entire CPU Core on an Intel i7 machine. Now with that in mind, a 1.2Ghz Snapdragon CPU (A smartphone processor, essentially), will not fare well at all with Flash content. Think Disney should get on the ball a bit and fix their player up, since the HP Touchpad does have a decent Graphics Adapter that could be used (outperforms the NVIDIA Tegra II, which does do HD!). To say the least, their beta player last year actually performed better, and also allowed me to select the video quality rather than letting Akamai decide what's best for me.

As an example of what I'm talking about, my DSL connection can only handle the lowest quality they provide. I'm streaming a game right now on my Gaming PC, which has Three GPUs in them (NVIDIA GTX480s ) and an Intel i7-920 Overclocked to 4.2Ghz on all four cores. The player on low quality is consuming 2/3 of a single CPU core, and isn't even touching my video cards.

The HP Tablet, consisting of the Qualcomm Dual Core Snapdragon, an Adreno 220 GPU, and WebOS is certainly a very capable platform, especially for $100 baseline. It just needs some development to be pushed into it by programmers.

0 Likes