Possible problem with my Actiontec MI424WR wireless connection
Kwlloyd

I have been using this actiontec daily for around a year with 2 laptops and 2 desktops computer.  About 4 days ago the wireless connection just dropped.  I have been working with Verizon, HP and SONY techs and still have the problem.  It seems that with losing al three computer at the same time leads to the Verizon MI424MR but Verizon tech that I talked to today said I needed to go out and get a booster for the signal.  She stated that Verizon only cover signal for 10 feet???  Yes the laptops work wireless while I'm in same room with router but if i walk out the room the service is lost.  I asked for a replacement router and said I could not get one, and I asked to speak to supervisor and was told one would return call within a hour??  Well it is almost 2 hours and no return call.  I do not want to go out and spend $240 dollars for 3 booster when two of the computers are located on the same floor and only a wall separating the router.  I have been in this house for 5 years and having computer service for with Verizon DSL and for last year FIOS and there has not been ANY alteration to the house and for service to drop is puzzling.  DO anyone out there have any other suggestions?

0 Likes
Possible Verizon MI424WR router problems
Ezell

I believe there's something odd going on with my Verizon MI424WR router:

As of friday around 5pm est, my FiOS wireless internet all of a sudden started to not work properly.  It worked without issues for 4 months before it suddenly stopped working correctly.  I am still able to connect to the internet using the wired connection.

I have 3 devices that connect to the internet wirelessly: laptop, Ipod Touch, and XBox360.  Using the FiOS connection wizard, the laptop was able to get connected, but the iTouch and 360 still had problems.  Saturday, my SSID would show up on the list of available networks on the iTouch and connect to the router, but still would not connect to the internet (even though the laptop had no issues connecting to the internet).

Today (sunday), the SSID is not even showing up on the iTouch and the laptop again can't connect to the internet wirelessly.  This time around, the FiOS connection wizard doesn't work to get the laptop connected.  Going into the routing settings shows that SSID broadcasting is enabled, so I'm not sure why it would all of a sudden not show up.

Previously, I was connecting to the SSID using the default password (as listed on the sticker on the router).  Now, through the connection wizard, its showing that the default password has changed.

Has anyone had any similar issues as these?  Any idea on how I can resolve them?

0 Likes
Re: Possible problem with my Actiontec MI424WR wireless connection
prisaz
Legend

It could be something is blocking the signal. A new cordless phone. Your neighbors new wireless device or phone.

You could log into the router and go to the wireless settings and manually set the channel to something like 11. I use the same router three floors above where it is located and get a good signal. I am also able to connect from inside my car which is one level up and about 50-60 ft away. Try the channel change and if it doesn't work call Verizon back and insist that you get support and do not hang up until you are satisfied. Insist that you talk to a supervisor and explain that you never recieved a return call the last time you called. Also ask for a trouble ticket number or service order number if they insist on calling you back.

Message Edited by prisaz on 04-05-2009 06:18 PM
0 Likes
Re: Possible problem with my Actiontec MI424WR wireless connection
VikeFan1961
Enthusiast - Level 3

I had a similar problem with my first Actiontec MI424WR router which was a Rev A version of the router.  After a a short session with a customer support rep I was able to get them to send me a Rev C which corrected the issue.

I have since purchased a Linksys (Cisco) WRT-350 router, disabled the wireless on the Actiontec since it is only wireless-G and tethered the WRT-350 so I could take advantage of the wireless-N its AP provides.

The wireless-N give much better range coverage and even at 50 feet through walls my wireless-N equipped laptop gets 108-117mbs connections.

0 Likes
SSID not showing up on available network list
Ezell

I made sure that the SSID broadcasting was enabled, but my SSID is still not showing up.  This became an issue only recently.  Everything worked flawlessly until Friday, that's when my wireless devices stopped connecting to the internet.

0 Likes