Previous tenant left Fios Modem, do I need a tech?
YChrisNY

I have a verizon Tech coming in a few weeks.. My apartment is already wired for Fios, and the previous tennant left a Fios modem connected. When turned on there is only a power and "wireless" indicator. Do you think Verizon could activate Fios without the tech, or do I have to wait for him/her?

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Previous tenant left Fios Modem, do I need a tech?
22Becca22
Contributor - Level 3

@YChrisNY wrote:

I have a verizon Tech coming in a few weeks.. My apartment is already wired for Fios, and the previous tennant left a Fios modem connected. When turned on there is only a power and "wireless" indicator. Do you think Verizon could activate Fios without the tech, or do I have to wait for him/her?

Thanks

Hello,

A few things:

1) When you had placed the order for FiOS services, and the system detected a working ONT (Optical Network Terminal) at the location, then you would have been given a self-install option instead of a technician visit.  For self-install, a kit comprising of the FiOS router, set top boxes (if you ordered TV service) and cables would be shipped to you with instructions on how to set-up/activate the equipment yourself.

2) It appears that the previous tenant inadvertently left his/her FiOS router at your apartment. This is equipment that either belongs to Verizon still or the tenant outright (depending on the length of the FiOS service or whether the router was purchased). If the router is owned by Verizon, then that individual could be asked to pay for unreturned equipment charges if that router was not returned.  Also, would you want to use someone else's equipment (without permission)?

The advantage of a technician visit is that the tech can recheck the ONT, coax outlets/connections and ensure that all services are working fine at the location.

The benefit of a self-install kit is that you can set-up your services at your convenience without the wait time.

If you're wondering about the availability of self-install for your apartment, Verizon's Customer Service can check whether your location qualifies for self-install or not (normally this would have already been indicated during the ordering process), and if it does, whether they can stil update your order and have enough time to mail out the kit before your tech visit.

Hope this helps!