Printing at home while traveling abroad via the internet
meluv2travel

I have Verizon FIOS Internet service with a Verizon router.  For additional internet security I have a Linksys Wireless G-Broadband Router (WRT54GSV4) Firmware 1.05.0.  All my home computers and printers connect to the Linksys router.  The only way I can print to the printer while traveling is if the wireless printer is connected to the Verizon FIOS router.

How can I setup the two routers such that I can print to the home printer while traveling without connecting the printer to the Verizon router while at the same time ensuring a secure connection so that no one else can see or print to the home printer (MAC Filtering maybe)?

FYI, Cloud printing services won't work either unless the home printer(s) is connected to the Verizon router as well.

Thanks !

0 Likes
Re: Printing at home while traveling abroad via the internet
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@meluv2travel wrote:

I have Verizon FIOS Internet service with a Verizon router.  For additional internet security I have a Linksys Wireless G-Broadband Router (WRT54GSV4) Firmware 1.05.0.  All my home computers and printers connect to the Linksys router.  The only way I can print to the printer while traveling is if the wireless printer is connected to the Verizon FIOS router. 

How are the two routers connected?  It sounds as if they are connected Actiontec to Linksys WAN.  If that's the case, you are double NATed and will need to create port forwards in both routers. 

Keep in mind that by opening up the printer via port forwards is not secure and the printer can be accessed by anyone one the internet.  You will want to run a VPN or SSL tunnel to get to the printer securely.

0 Likes