Problems connecting through Telia
ArtV2

All,

I hope you can help.  I have FIOS in central VA and my connection to the world of tanks server has been terrible the last few weeks.  At wargamming suggestion I ran pingplotter for 20 minutes and found that I am getting cascading packet loss on the telia servers.  Specifically server teliasonera-gw.customer.alter.net (152.179.50.234) is causing the issue.  Wargamming instructed me to contact my ISP for resolution of the problem.  Hoping someon here can help.

Thanks in advance!

ArtV

0 Likes
Re: Problems connecting through Telia
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Unfortunately that is a paid for peering point that telia is paying for x amount of bandwidth and they would need to simply order more or invoke better load balancing which can be a long process but telia would initiate it because it would cost them more money.   

Your best bet is to get connected with wtfast you can try it for free to see if it works for you.   

http://www.wtfast.com/pages/world_tanks_lag/

0 Likes
ArtV2

Thanks but WTfast did not help.  Any other suggestions?

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

If that particular VPN didn't work (I'm glad they have a free trial) then you can always jump on the wargaming forum and see what others are using.  They probably have a company that works really well with that game server.

additionally I was digging around, and found a lot of complaints historically about telia when talking about wargaming, so here is that info.

Telia "balances" their rate of input/output so that it remains stable millisecond by millisecond.  When the traffic goes up(a match starts) they might be putting data into buffers and holding until their I/O rate goes down enough to allow more data to be Rx'd and Tx'd without breaking some set threshold.  Consider this: ISPs own servers, but NOT cable running around the world.  They have to pay someone to  "use" the hardwire at some point to actually get connected.  I'm not an expert, but if Telia(or any ISP) were being charged by how much data is sent/received by their connection, then there might be extra charges for exceeding thresholds of how much data moves.  If so, then finding a way to 'smooth out' high amount times by holding some of the data back until they could move it and stay below their "extra charge" threshold would be sound business. 

And here is some info from wargaming support.  Take special note of the Ports it says that should be forwarded in the Verizon Router.  I'll put those in Bold.   If you can check your Verizon router and see if those ports are open that would be great, if you need help with that, then refer to the following page, or if you don't feel comfortable getting into routers to make changes, then there is a free auto port forward tool that works really well, you can download it at www.simpleportforwarding.com

Thank you for contacting Wargaming Support.

We'd like to try some connection maintenance to ensure your system and local internet settings are not blocking World of Tanks.

Please ensure your Internet Explorer is updated to the latest version, clear its cache, and ensure it is not set to "Offline Mode".

Then please right click on your WoT icon, select "Properties", navigate to the security tab, and check the box for "Run as Administrator".

Now follow these steps to clean up your network.

1. Turn off and unplug all of your network devices. (modem and or network switches/routers) - and if they have a battery, please them out.
2. Turn off your computer.

Leave them all off for 30-40 seconds.

3. Turn them all back on and give them a few minutes to initialize and pull down some new addresses.
4. Clear your internet browser cache.

Next please clear your DNS cache.

1. Press the windows key + R to open your run dialog (or start menu > run)
2. Enter the exact command: "Ipconfig /flushdns" (without the quotes)
3. Press enter.

Now try running World of Tanks.

Additionally, please make sure your antivirus software or firewall does not block the client connection with the server. During the first game start, add the game application to the trusting list.

We would also like you to ensure that you have following ports open for WorldofTanks.exe and WotLauncher.exe in your antivirus/firewall/router settings:
UDP Range: 20014 and 32801-32825
TCP Range: 53, 80, 443, 3128, 8081, 8088, 20000-25000, 32801, and 32803

To have Voice chat working properly, please, forward the following ports: UDP 3478, 3479, 5060, 5062, and 12000-29999

To configure your router you might use http://portforward.com/ as reference, it contains detailed info on how to set up ports on almost any router.

Also make sure that you have added WorldOfTanks.exe and WOTLauncher.exe to your Firewall/Anvi-Virus's exception/allowed lists.

Choose your Operating System and select the link below for more information on Windows Firewall:

Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308127
Windows Vista: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Open-a-port-in-Windows-Firewall
Windows 7: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Open-a-port-in-Windows-Firewall

They recommend a network trace utility called pingplotter,  I am a fan of MTR   Both are probably free, but you should probably download one, and then run it when you are having trouble.  After you run it then you can post it here in the forums, and we can help you analyze it.  Win mtr has a good article on how to analyze the results.  

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Also sometimes game server patches can cause high pings and latency,  Did wargaming do any recent patches, did you notice the problem after the patches?

0 Likes
ArtV2

All,

Thanks for the help.  I really don't have any router running on my gaming rig.  I run a line out from the modem to switches throught my house.  I have sent my issue to wargamming and despite the massive packlet loss on the Telia server they said it was none of their doing and that I should escalate it to MY ISP.  I used Pingplotter to verify the packet loss issue.

I had not previously open the ports in my Firewall but went ahead and did it.  Pingplotter reported 44% packet loss on the Telia server within a matter of seconds so that did not help.

Thanks in advance.

ArtV

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

If you have FiOS then you should have one of these.

These are the default router that most customers have,  they are usually in the basement or garage, but can sometimes be inside the house.     if you have one then you should configure it with those ports that wargaming suggests

0 Likes
ArtV2

Thanks.

I do but have only one cable connected to it.....do I still need to configure those ports?  I have played this game with the same internet connection and equipment for years with no problem and find it difficult to believe that only now do I need to set up these ports.

I'll do it I guess.

ArtV

0 Likes
ArtV2

OK, I now have the ports that Wargamming indicated forwarded on my routers IP address.

Still experiencing significant packet loss though I would swear the ping went down.  Any other suggestions?  Really am frustrated at this issue.

Thanks in advance.

ArtV

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

try fixmylag.com   they got a 5 day free trial, and are compatible with your game.      see if it even helps.  if it's network related, then it should. 

0 Likes