Problems with FiOS Speeds
Computerz1

Hey all,

I was hoping somebody here might be able to help me out with my FiOS connection. I've been using FiOS for a long time with no complaints, but recently I ran into some speed issues.

I had an ONT unit in my basement die on me about two and a half weeks ago, and was replaced two weeks ago by a Verizon technician with a new unit. My internet was fine up until this past Saturday. I initially noticed a slowdown in connection speed while watching some livestreams on TwitchTV. Also I noticed packetloss in video games, extremely slow Youtube and TwitchTV buffering, and slow downloads from websites and FTP servers. I went to confirm my connection speed at Speedtest.net, and while connecting to the NY Optimum Online servers (and many others), my connection has consistently rated at around 1-4mbps/5mbps (see: http://www.speedtest.net/result/2056618741.png ). I do have the 15/5 plan, so clearly I should have better speeds than that. And I usually do, in the past I've hit anywhere from 20-24mbps download, so to reach a number so low was a big surprise. 

I reset the router, I unplugged and replugged the router, I unplugged and replugged ethernet cables, and I reset my ONT. I contacted Verizon support, and all the technician did was run the Verizon speedtest and Verizon FiOS optimizer. I asked him to reset my IP as well cause I read a post about some folks in Long Beach who used that to great effect, and then I let the tech go so I could check on my connection a bit. Unfortunately my connection is still pretty poor, and I'm hoping some of you guys can help me out.

When checking the Verizon Speedtest tool, I hit ~24/5mpbs. The detailed results are as follows:

Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
SendBufferSize set to [261360]
running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 4.61Mb/s
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 24.41Mb/s

------ Client System Details ------
OS data: Name = Windows 7, Architecture = x86, Version = 6.1
Java data: Vendor = Oracle Corporation, Version = 1.7.0_05

------ Web100 Detailed Analysis ------
Client Receive Window detected at 261360 bytes.
10 Mbps Ethernet link found.
Link set to Half Duplex mode
No network congestion discovered.
Good network cable(s) found
Alarm: Duplex mismatch condition found: Host set to Full and Switch set to Half duplexD

Web100 reports the Round trip time = 76.25 msec; the Packet size = 1452 Bytes; and 
There were 15 packets retransmitted, 554 duplicate acks received, and 530 SACK blocks received
The connection was idle 0 seconds (0%) of the time
This connection is receiver limited 19.38% of the time.
This connection is sender limited 60.96% of the time.
This connection is network limited 19.66% of the time.

Web100 reports TCP negotiated the optional Performance Settings to: 
RFC 2018 Selective Acknowledgment: ON
RFC 896 Nagle Algorithm: ON
RFC 3168 Explicit Congestion Notification: OFF
RFC 1323 Time Stamping: OFF
RFC 1323 Window Scaling: ON
Information: Network Middlebox is modifying MSS variable
Server IP addresses are preserved End-to-End
Information: Network Address Translation (NAT) box is modifying the Client's IP address
Server says [(omitted)] but Client says [(omitted)]

I set my adapter to force a 100Mbps Full Duplex, but that error regarding Duplex mismatches still pops up.  

Also, weird symptom: I'll try downloading a file off my FTP server and it will go at 30-50kB/s. I take the file off and retry, and it has the chance (not a guarantee) to go at 1-2mBps. And when I do tests with Speedtest.net, at first my download speed spikes to ~20mbps but after the test passes its half or three-quarter mark the speed drops drastically.

So to close, for the tl;dr:

Internet slow wirelessly and wired, reset router doesn't work, Verizon detailed speedtest and Speedtest.net results above, speed sometimes spikes and then goes back down.

Can anyone help me out here? Thanks a lot. Let me know if you need any other information from me.

0 Likes
Re: Problems with FiOS Speeds
mogurface

Same here. I have a 15/Mbps speed, and all I get is around Mbps download speed. But my upload speed is fine. 

0 Likes