Problems with the Fios 20/5 connection speed in my area dropping down to less than 3mbs.
keiser0619
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have written out a flyer that I plan to go door to door with. Since I am under contract with Verizon, I am forced to honor my side of the contract. Even if they are allowed to make me pay for a service that I am not completely getting. I am very displeased and as soon as my contract is up, I will change back to My local cable companies all in one that does not require a contract and has no issue such as the one I am having.

Do you have Verizon Fios Internet?

Are you on the 20/5 connection?

If so, you may not be getting the speed you are paying for. I am on a 20/5 connection and when my computer is on for longer than an hour the internet download speed with Verizon Fios starts to slow down until it is below 3mbs. It takes about 24 hours to get down to 3mbs but only about an hour or two to get down to about 6-7mbs when I am paying for 20mbs…

I have 3 computers in my home that have Windows Vista, Windows XP home edition and Windows Media Edition 2005. All of the computers run into this same exact issue, I have tried every setting I could think of with my 24 years of computer technical experience. I finally took one machine with Windows XP and ran a full format on the hard drive and reinstalled a fresh Windows Xp Operating system onto the hard drive so it is a bare bones OS. This way there is no other software on the machine that could possibly be causing the problem and found that when I connected online through Verizon Fios the machine still ran into the same exact issue. This proves to me that the issue is not on any of my machines.

Now all of this time my buddy that lives 1.2 miles away from my house has been having the same issue with three computers at his home also. He has Windows Vista on two machines and Windows XP Pro on one.

When I concluded that it was a Verizon Fios issue, after a few months of trying to get by, researching, diagnosing and losing much information in order to verify it was on Verizon’s side, I contacted technical support at Verizon’s online website. The agent and I went through the regular procedure that anyone would have to go through and I patiently explained what I had done to try to diagnose the issue. The agent came to the conclusion that he could not figure out the problem so he guessed that the Verizon router/modem may be the issue and told me he would send me a new one by mail.

I received the new Verizon router/modem, installed it and had to call to have it activated. Afterward it still had the same exact issue as the prior router/modem. So now we know it’s not my computers, it’s not the router/modem. My Verizon router/modem is connected right at the Optical Network Terminal (ONT), which is the box that connects the fiber-optics to your home, usually just inside or outside your garage wall. Mine is just outside…

From here my buddy, who has been having this problem also the entire time, called the local office of Verizon Fios and an installer was setup to come over to his home and trouble shoot the issue. My buddy called me and told me when the installer was headed to his home and I met him at his home to see what the installer found and in hope that my issue would be fixed at the same time. The installer went through the system at his house and was frustrated about not finding the reason for the issue and ready to leave without fixing anything. I simply asked that he stay long enough to see the issue present itself within an hour-hour and a half.

His laptop itself already showed the speed drop from 20mbs to between 16-17mbs, it was on its way down. He basically told us something that online tech support already stated to me, it is extremely difficult to prove it is on Verizon’s side. In other words it is extremely difficult to prove it, in a way that will convince Verizon to check its own servers, routers and software updates to their own systems. The installer, good guy, couldn’t/wouldn’t stay but we did convince him not to simply drop the issue. He called shop and they sent another installer out to take over the issue.

The new installer, great guy, got up to speed on what was already done at my buddies home. The first installer, checked and replaced the Verizon router/modem, checked the wiring and splitters. Basically went through the entire system up to the Optical Network Terminal (ONT), the box that connects the fiber-optics to your home. He pulled and replaced the Optical Network Terminal (ONT), thinking that perhaps the unit was compromised. While he was doing this job a tech was called and asked to stop by for assistance with the issue. The tech checked the computers inside and tried to do some settings that the main office informed him to try. I explained to the tech that the same issue was happening at my house, that I went through every setting I could think of and find online to help alleviate the issue. After some shop talk about what I had tried, including the full format and reinstall of the operating system on one of my machines, he just as I came to the conclusion that it couldn’t be with the computers and since everything that had to do with the Verizon Fios system from the street to the end-user computer had been checked, verified and/or replaced, the issue had to be coming from Verizon’s main office.

The installer had already checked the main at the road that has the 3x2 green service cover on it by the side walk. Everything was in good working order. The tech called the main office to see if my buddy and I were on the same hub, basically a big splitter that continues the service from the main office to the homes, we were not. So that was ruled out…

My understanding of the system ends there. The only other components I know of are the Main branch’s routers, servers and software.

Verizon had a new connection speed added to their system, 25/15 about the same time our issue began. So I am guessing that when they updated the system to include this new connection speed they corrupted the software for the 20/5 connection.

We have been waiting to hear from the tech that was at my buddy’s house, to see if the issue will be dealt with. My buddy has called him a couple of times and he has mentioned that he is trying to get it addressed and to call back if we hadn’t heard from him. He remembered who he and I were and what the issue was, so I believe he is taking it seriously. How far he can move the issue is beyond me…

I want to add that my buddy and I have been customers with the all in one package from Verizon Fios since their services have moved into our area, about a year and a half… It has only been since about June that this issue has presented itself, before then we were on 7th heaven with the speeds. We couldn’t have been more than happy with the services.

This issue has caused that to all go afoul, not only do the speeds get down to less than 3mbs but the speed is not smooth at all. Rather the 3mbs speed is stop and go, freezing in between at times, very choppy. Barely usable at times, unless you restart the computers and start over.

We are hoping that anyone with Verizon Fios Internet Services will keep an eye on their speeds by going to http://speedtest.net and doing tests to verify they are getting the speeds they are paying Verizon for.

This is what it will take for Verizon to take this issue seriously is to gather everyone on the system that may be having the same issue. I believe it is everyone that is within the 1.2 miles from my house to my buddy’s and will distribute flyers to each and every house in between.

If you find that your speed is not as fast as it should be please contact me and I will add you to the list, this way we can see exactly how far this problem covers and perhaps it will also help to show a pattern and understanding as to why the issue is present in the first place.

My contact information,

I have left this out here, you can contact me on these forums...

Re: Problems with the Fios 20/5 connection speed in my area dropping down to less than 3mbs.
damo

Have you used the speed optimizer on the Verizon Website on your machines?

http://www2.verizon.net/help/fios_settings/optimizer/

The defaults on Microsoft Windows will not give you the speeds that FIOS can deliver.  I have bookmarked this link in Explorer.

0 Likes
Re: Problems with the Fios 20/5 connection speed in my area dropping down to less than 3mbs.
keiser0619
Enthusiast - Level 2
Yes and no.... I have tried the verizon optimizer, winoptimizer, the optimzer at speedguide.net and on the machine that I formatted and reinstalled, I left bare bones... Nothing I do on my local computers fixes the problem, nothing my buddy has done on his local computers has fixed the problem. The installers and the tech that came out to my buddy's home had the same issue on their laptops that they brought out, not a local computer problem...
I do appreciate the suggestion, I would like to have the issue resolved but it is just looking as if verizon only goes so far to make their service work correctly.
0 Likes
Gards
I am also having the exact same problem!  I have the 20/5 connections...also live in Florida is that matters (Sarasota).  I am running a mac and an hp with xp os.  I ran the optimizer that was linked on the fios site for my mac and nothing.  also did the vz in home agent thing on my hp...nothing.  I keep trying to find how to get to the online chat with an agent to see what they say...but for some reason I can't find it anymore.  I know I got there one day and it was very helpful.  Anyone have any idea how to get back there...VZ website is a {please keep your posts courteous}   I am maxing out at around 10mbs down and 3mbs up on both computers.  Seriously thinking about ditching verizon and going with comcast again (but not a fan of thier soon to be capping of data).  It is very fustrating to not get what you are paying for......
Message Edited by KaLin on 08-02-2009 09:19 AM
0 Likes
keiser0619
Enthusiast - Level 2
You can usually find the Live Chat here,
But for some reason when I checked it is showing as not available... Maybe it was just down when I checked, perhaps by the time you get this it will be working again.
Biggest problem with Live Chat is that they really can't do much of anything from my experience. They did setup a new router to be sent to my house but if you call your local verizon, when the installer comes out to check over your system, he will bring another router as part of the diag. So you're better off just calling the local branch of verizon and having them come out. Your problem may not be exactly the same, I have researched and there are other problems that could cause slow speeds. The installers and techs have to test and disclude everything from your computer to the ONT in order to determine if the problem is on your premises.
One thing I did was I have three computers, I sacrificed one for the good of the others and did a full restore and fresh install of windows xp. Then didn't install anything and watched my download speed deminish down to below 3mbs, just as it and the other two computers had been doing...
Have you tried the verizon speed optimizer tool?
Just a thought...
Message Edited by keiser0619 on 08-02-2009 12:14 PM
0 Likes
bigal1

I understand your problem...I have the 25/15 package...My download tests are a good 25 meg most of the time.

The upload speeds are all over the palce, with ocassional freezes and jumpy speeds never near 15 meg. The same problem

happens on my work computer at Verizon...Download speeds are 50 meg with the same sloopy upload speeds as from home.

I have tried various speed testing sites, with about the same results...If I recall, my upload speed at the house was about

25 meg on the first day of the install last month, around the time of the company upgrade of speeds.

0 Likes
dada1921
Enthusiast - Level 2

i feel u man...i also have the 20/5 speed but i live in california...what u went through i went through this past 2 weeks. i called support about my speed and my ping (for gaming) and my speed also drops to 3 or less  for download and 1 or less for upload and my ping is around 500 and 600 at times when it should be lower than 100 or lower than 50 but support thought it was my router also. i just got my router today and i also had to call to activated which i dont like doing, u should be able jus to plug it and update it and your done but i had to call too.

now my speed was good, around 19.8/4.5 but 5 hrs later, the speed is back down to 4/1 and now im goin to call support to tell them about the issue again and see if they can send someone down to fix and hopefully it gets fix. the only time my speed goes back to normal is when i reset my router or i call tech support to reset the ONT (which is a drag to call every hour to reset).

Im really not happy with the service and my time warner cable service was better even with a lower speed but i always got what i paid for 10/1. the sad part is that my contract is for 2 years and i just started this last month. Im goin to keep calling them to fix it if im going to keep it for 2 years or i will just go to the BBB (the Better Business Bureau) and complain there like i did with my xbox 360 when support was bad and they couldnt fix me my xbox and charging me when it was still on warranty. The good part was that microsoft got news about this and they gave me a free month of xbox live and a free game.

its not kool to say you will get this speed and u dont and they cant figure out the problem is and u have to keep paying b/c you are contract. if this happens, they should let u terminate the contract w/o penalty. so please verizon, find a solution b/c i really do like being on verizon, im a cell phone user of verizon and so is my tv and internet, no phone b/c i use the cell phone.

please find a solution. thank you.

0 Likes
Gards
ok...here is the latest update.  I called verizon and they recognized that there must be an issue going on.  They sent me a replacement router for free...with free return postage for the old one.  It looks to be the same model number as the actiontec that I was using (huge, ugly, 1980's looking thing).  I did have to call for them to break my dhcp lease so that it would start working...or you could wait an hr or so for the ip address to be updated.  after about 12 hours or so...speeds are normal.  I'll keep an eye on it to see if it starts to dip again. 
0 Likes
RESOLVED...
keiser0619
Enthusiast - Level 2
Actually what this came down to was an issue between Windows Vista and an Ethernet Card on one of the machines in each of our local networks.

Even though our two machines are 6 years apart, we both have the same ethernet adapter on our main desktops. A RealTek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet Nic. It seems that the adapter does not work at the 20mbs download speeds with Vista. For some reason the adapter does not shut down when the computer does? I don't understand why but it doesn't, it keeps the connection alive. I removed the ethernet cable and pulled the power cable and had my two other computers still connected to the network and found that the issue was resolved. The way I found out was that I used the connections on my main computer to hook up one I had laying around and through further testing found the problem no longer existed...

Then I realized that my buddy and I installed Windows Vista at about the same time, a couple of months ago. Funny how you can forget an important detail like that. Then I remembered that he had the same identical ethernet adapter as I did, I had noticed that while trouble shooting his computer at his home but didn't think it was important at the time. Until the issue was narrowed down to the adapter, then it all seemed to all fall into line.

Quite humbling... In the end, anyone who has Windows Vista and this NIC probably will have problems with the 20mbs download speed of the computers on their own networks. I tried the latest Vista driver from RealTek and also tried to roll back the driver, with no success....

Back at the beginning when we first had fios installed in our homes there wasn't an issue when we had the 10/2 speeds and had Vista. Then we decided to change from Vista to XP because we both were having issues as to what programs you could use and which you could not, shortly after having fios installed. Then when verizon upgraded us to 20/5 we were amazed at the speed and still had no issue because we had XP on our main computers with the RealTek adapters...

We reinstalled Vista because it seemed like we were having more issues with XP by getting hit with Antivirus2008 and its variants and thought it time for a change back...

It didn't really hit us that Vista could be the culprit because we both have a laptop in our networks that have had Vista on them from the get go when there were no issues... We also didn't notice just how bad it was right away and over time kind of left the Vista install out of the equation.

Just strange that one computer can effect all the other computers on the network, even when it is shut down...

I allowed the other two computers to run 24hours and the issue did not present itself, when I added the main computer with the RealTek adapter back to the mix it reappeared. The Realtek adapter is the only real common denominator between his machine and mine.

So now we have three choices,

We can go back to Windows XP.
We can buy a new NIC or a wireless card to replace the RealTek...

Hopefully this post will help anyone else who runs into this problem, it has been very frustrating to say the least...

Thanks to everyone for their help and I apologize for complaining about verizon when it was not a verizon issue. I came to the conclusion that the only part verizon really played was upgrading us to a 20/5 tier which I am thankful for...

Would be nice if this card was on a list that Verizon support could use to troubleshoot , diagnose or eliminate for future support issues.
Message Edited by keiser0619 on 08-06-2009 03:58 PM
0 Likes
Re: RESOLVED...
dada1921
Enthusiast - Level 2
well i know it cant be my vista OS, b/c my game console gets the same speed and the same ping. i have a 360 whenever i get online like to play cod4, it show my ping being red most of the time and everybody else is either yellow or green but mostly green which is good. im usually the only one that has red and my bullet lags alot, for atleast a second or 2 and that will cause u to play bad. i cant even get a kill b/c of that.
0 Likes