Quantum Gateway G1100 wifi blinking light
ponsholm
Enthusiast - Level 2

About 3 weeks ago we had FIOS installed. (50/50 internet + TV PACKAGE)

I noticed the last few weeks that the wifi icon on the router blinks white, then fast red. The wifi usually works and we havent' seen any major issues but according to the manual the light should stay solid white. (The blinking means reconnecting etc.)

When I contacted FIOS support they suugested to reset the ONT battery, but no battery is installed as apparently it wasn't needed if you are not using phone etc. Is something going on with this router or is this a normal occurance?

Cheers 

0 Likes
Re: Quantum Gateway G1100 wifi blinking light
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

A thought of Auto Channel Switching comes into mind here. It's possible the router is attempting to move to another channel in either 2.4Ghz or the 5Ghz band due to interference, or in the case of 5Ghz, Radar Detection. It might be worthwhile to set fixed channels if you haven't already, to see if the problem is resolved.

Alternatively, since that description sounds vague, it could be a device is simply disassociating and re-associating with the router in a short amount of time, perhaps due to power saving measures.

0 Likes
ponsholm
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the 2.4 & 5 bands set to fixed channels already. However, I recently decided to create different SSIDs instead of switching between the two. However, it still remains the same. Yesterday I spoke with a Verizon tier 2 analyst and they didn't really come out and say this but I think a firmware update is in the works for 50/50+ users in this scenario. The wifi works, but it still blinks. We will see what happens... I still get 50/50 whether it is 2.4 or 5 upstairs/downstairs.

What do you mean associating/disassociating? You mean a wifi device that disconnects abruptly?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@ponsholm wrote:

What do you mean associating/disassociating? You mean a wifi device that disconnects abruptly?

In a sense. Many devices, such as smartphones will often cycle the wireless radio off while they are on battery and not actively doing anything. If the light is trying to indicate this type of activity, it may just be normal to see happen.

Just some thoughts to ponder with. Otherwise, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a firmware problem, or if this is just truly a cosmetic thing.