Question re: Actiontec MI424WR router ethernet outlets
kam197
Enthusiast - Level 1

Ok - I'm sooooo not a techie so please bare with me.

I have the above router connected to my desktop with an ethernet cable. If I forgo the wireless option (too many walls here), can I hook up a laptop to the router with a 2nd ethernet cable? (So both would be connected at the same time to the router). Does it matter which outlets on the router I use?

Or, can you use one of the usb ports on the router to hook up a laptop?

Another question... I haven't purchased the laptop yet and may go with a tablet. Whichever one I buy -  if, by some miracle, I can get the new lap or tab to work wirelessly through the walls (I have a wireless-n usb adapter I can plug into my desktop tower)  can I still have the desktop hooked up with the ethernet cable? (i.e. One wired, one wireless through same router).

Thanks for your help!! And please dumb it down a bit for me. Smiley Wink

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Question re: Actiontec MI424WR router ethernet outlets
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

kam197 wrote:

can I hook up a laptop to the router with a 2nd ethernet cable?   

Yes.  There are 4 LAN ports.  You can connect up to 4 ethernet devices.  If you need more than that, you will need to buy an ethernet switch.

kam197 wrote:

So both would be connected at the same time to the router

Yes

kam197 wrote:

Does it matter which outlets on the router I use? 

Not as long as you use any of the 4 LAN ports.  You don't want to connect to the WAN port.

kam197 wrote:

No.  The USB ports on the router are powered (useful for changing something) but are not active.

kam197 wrote:

can I still have the desktop hooked up with the ethernet cable? (i.e. One wired, one wireless through same router).

Yes

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

kam197 wrote:

can I hook up a laptop to the router with a 2nd ethernet cable?   

Yes.  There are 4 LAN ports.  You can connect up to 4 ethernet devices.  If you need more than that, you will need to buy an ethernet switch.

kam197 wrote:

So both would be connected at the same time to the router

Yes

kam197 wrote:

Does it matter which outlets on the router I use? 

Not as long as you use any of the 4 LAN ports.  You don't want to connect to the WAN port.

kam197 wrote:

No.  The USB ports on the router are powered (useful for changing something) but are not active.

kam197 wrote:

can I still have the desktop hooked up with the ethernet cable? (i.e. One wired, one wireless through same router).

Yes

0 Likes
kam197
Enthusiast - Level 1

Anti-phish  - Thanks so much for your answer!!

0 Likes