Rate Limiting 35/35???
greenpin
Enthusiast - Level 3

Background:

I've had 25/25 FIOS for a few years, and have been happy with it. Recently, I upgraded to 35/35... and I'm not getting what I'm paying for. My fastest speed test to date is 28Mbps down and 24Mbps up, but it's usually lower than that. I been going through the "normal" process to troubleshoot this issue. I have optimized my network interface configurations, reset everything from devices (wired) to the ONT, unplugged and replugged all coax cable connections, reset router, received a replacement router, plugged router into ONT with a 6 foot coax cable (50' extension power cord needed to do this), and have been "monitored" at the central office for the past 3 days. I've yet to get anyone at verizon to dispatch a tech to come to the house. And this whole time, I have had to call Verizon support every day to "advance to the next step".

Queston:

The one thing I know for sure is that packets are getting dropped somewhere, and I'm seeing a lot of dup acks and fast retrans in Wireshark. It starts somewhere around 25-26Mbps. Verizon swears I'm provisioned for 35/35. I figured out how to enable more logging on the router so I could possiby see what's going on (Firewall Settings > Security Log). I have been able to correlate a log entries to every speed test I run. Here's an example of one.

Time Event Event-Type Details
May 7 20:43:22 2012 Inbound Traffic Blocked - Packet invalid in connection TCP 208.93.142.190:80->{edited for privacy}:6718 on eth1
May 7 20:43:20 2012 Firewall Info Rate Limit 70 messages of type [15] Default policy suppressed in 1 second(s)
May 7 20:43:19 2012 Inbound Traffic Blocked - Default policy TCP 199.193.250.30:20000->{edited for privacy}6741 on eth1
May 7 20:43:07 2012 Firewall Info Rate Limit 36 messages of type [15] Default policy suppressed in 1 second(s)
May 7 20:43:06 2012 Inbound Traffic Blocked - Default policy TCP 199.193.250.30:20000->{edited for privacy}:6739 on eth1

I've looked all throughout the router, and have found several places to rate limit switch ports and the wireless interface, but none of them are enabled. I've looked at all the traffic shaping and Q0S setting, and don't see anything questionable.

Is anyone familiar with this event and how to manage it? Is there something else that I shold check on my end?

ONT = A612A

Router = Westell 9100EM

Connection = Coax (MoCA)

TIA!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Rate Limiting 35/35???
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

Looks as if someone is trying to probe your router.

ICMP type 15 is a request for information from your router.

Make sure you have ICMP responses turned off in your router.

View solution in original post

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

Looks as if someone is trying to probe your router.

ICMP type 15 is a request for information from your router.

Make sure you have ICMP responses turned off in your router.

greenpin
Enthusiast - Level 3

Interesting. How did you know that was an ICMP message?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@greenpin wrote:

Interesting. How did you know that was an ICMP message?

See http://www.iana.org/assignments/icmp-parameters/icmp-parameters.xml

TCP and UDP will not trigger that kind of logging in the router.

0 Likes
greenpin
Enthusiast - Level 3

I learned 4 hours ago that my service was never provisioned for 35/35 on the OLT... is still 25/25. I've suspected and expressed this to Verizon since my first call over a week ago, and every call since. It's still not corrected. Let's see how long it takes them to resolve the problem, now.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@greenpin wrote:

I learned 4 hours ago that my service was never provisioned for 35/35 on the OLT... is still 25/25. I've suspected and expressed this to Verizon since my first call over a week ago, and every call since. It's still not corrected. Let's see how long it takes them to resolve the problem, now.

On the spot?

When you upgrade Internet Service Verizon can techically give you the speed on the spot. It takes them generally four hours to push everything through the system (billing and account-wise) before you are provisioned. Someone at the Fiber Solution Center should be able to check your account and see it's not provisioned right, and fix it right there on the phone.

0 Likes
greenpin
Enthusiast - Level 3

I upgraded a few weeks ago, so it was just an error somewhere in the provisioning process. As a customer, I feel like I have gone way above what the average person is capable of in troubleshooting this problem. Tonight, after yet another call to customer support, I escalated to a supervisor and my issue was resovled in a couple of minutes (he motivated a network tech to resolve the known issue immediately). I am now getting the 35/35 bandwidth that I am paying for.

I will say the tier 1 call center agents were very friendly, and did the best they could to troubleshoot my issue (one of which actually figured out the misconfiguration that a network tech should have). It's the tier 2 network techs that have a real opportunity for improvment.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@greenpin wrote:

I upgraded a few weeks ago, so it was just an error somewhere in the provisioning process. As a customer, I feel like I have gone way above what the average person is capable of in troubleshooting this problem. Tonight, after yet another call to customer support, I escalated to a supervisor and my issue was resovled in a couple of minutes (he motivated a network tech to resolve the known issue immediately). I am now getting the 35/35 bandwidth that I am paying for.

I will say the tier 1 call center agents were very friendly, and did the best they could to troubleshoot my issue (one of which actually figured out the misconfiguration that a network tech should have). It's the tier 2 network techs that have a real opportunity for improvment.

Awesome to hear they managed to fix it just like that.

0 Likes