Really slow internet connection
kgracing

For the past couple of days, my son has complained that his internet connection is lagging while playing his online video game. It gets really bad when someone else uses the internet. We already tried unplugging the router. The router is about 6 months old, so it's fairly new. It works for a little while, and then the connection is slow again. Is Verizon having outage problems in our area? We are in the southern california area. I noticed that Verizon now has this new Quantum internet service, so does that mean that we are forced to upgrade and pay more money for faster internet? I have a grouchy teenager that is furious with the Verizon internet service and has lost a couple of online gaming touraments because of this. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
Re: Really slow internet connection
tns
Master - Level 2

You are asking on a peer to peer forum.

You didn't say where you are, southern cal be rather large.  Some in rockland county ny have been reporting a problem.  Other areas have in the recent past.

0 Likes
kgracing

I am in the Torrance, CA area. So I contacted Verizon through online chat and I did a speed test and speed was good. They thought it might be my router so they sent me a new router Verizon MI424WR. I set it up and the router works well with faster connection than what I had before, but the internet still keeps slowing and then it drops. We have to turn the router off and on, and unplug it as well to get the internet going again. I contacted Verizon by phone again and the technician changed the channel to channel 11. It was on channel 6. He said that should help, and if not, I will have to have a technician come out to see what the problem is. Looks like I will have to have someone come out because it just dropped connection again.... This is so frustrating.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@ycats31 wrote:

I am in the Torrance, CA area. So I contacted Verizon through online chat and I did a speed test and speed was good. They thought it might be my router so they sent me a new router Verizon MI424WR. I set it up and the router works well with faster connection than what I had before, but the internet still keeps slowing and then it drops. We have to turn the router off and on, and unplug it as well to get the internet going again. I contacted Verizon by phone again and the technician changed the channel to channel 11. It was on channel 6. He said that should help, and if not, I will have to have a technician come out to see what the problem is. Looks like I will have to have someone come out because it just dropped connection again.... This is so frustrating.

Has anyone in Verizon checked your MoCa signal? If there's something wrong with it a truck roll would be suggested by them anyways but what you describe is often a poor signal coming into the router. If you're interested to get a rough idea as to how it's doing, the router should display the link speed, as mentioned in this FAQ: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16569

If your speed is near or below 200Mbps then we've most likely found our problem. Ideally, we would want to put the router on Ethernet but unless you run your own cable or get the 150Mbps or higher speed, there is a charge to have Verizon do that. MoCa should do the job if it has a clean signal. Cable Internet suffers from the same problems along with DSL so it's nothing unique.

0 Likes