Relegating my Verizon router to a secondary router while using my own as the primary.
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

My Verizon router is somewhat of a bottleneck for in-premise network traffic and I was wondering if I could request changing of my ont connection to ethernet and adding one of my own routers as the primary router and connecting the verizon router in bridged mode to provide moca connectivity for the STB's.

Have the ont reprovisioned for ethernet rather than coax and connecting my own router.

Then disabling the broadband moca interface and connecting the coax port of the verizon router to the premise coax network and bridging the verizon router via a lan to lan connection with my gateway router.
I believe that should work though I'm guessing I'd have to forward the fios service ports at the gateway router to the verizon router to handle guide and support interface.

I see 3 different fios service pf rules on the verizon router.

I'm guessing that port 4567 is probably the support port as it is forwarding to local addr 127.0.0.1

There then is a range of ports for the STBs starting at port 63145 incremented by 1 for each stb.

Then there is a range of ports for the STB's starting at port 35000 incremented by 1 for each stb.

Would be nice if Verizon cleaned up their old entries in the router port forwarding list as I now have 10 duplicate entries for every stb in the 3500 series and the action column has been disabled for all the fios service entries so I can't manually delete them - possiby saving the config and perform factory reset woul clear it all?

As my Verizon router appears to believe I have 5 STB's I guess I could just forward the following ports to the VZ static addr

tcp 4567

udp range 63145 - 63149 

tcp range 35000- 35005

Has anybody ever tried this and if so does it work?

One issue is see is that VZ router is a Westell 9100 and I see a note on dslreports taht may indicate it won't work (last mod date to that is 15 months ago)

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

I believe I only have 1 ethernet port working on the VZ router now so could probably request a new one anyway, especially as I am on a 75/35 plan.

0 Likes
Re: Relegating my Verizon router to a secondary router while using my own as the primary.
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

VOD, IMG and widgets all work without the port forwarding.

The port forwarding is only required if you're concerned about on screen caller id and remote DVR scheduling.

It gets more complex than just adding the port forwards.  Since the STBs send their IP address to VZ's servers.

If you're concerned about remote DVR scheduling, I suggest you look at the following FAQ:

Three router solution - Take 2

0 Likes
Re: Relegating my Verizon router to a secondary router while using my own as the primary.
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Anti-Phish wrote:

VOD, IMG and widgets all work without the port forwarding.

The port forwarding is only required if you're concerned about on screen caller id and remote DVR scheduling.

It gets more complex than just adding the port forwards.  Since the STBs send their IP address to VZ's servers.

If you're concerned about remote DVR scheduling, I suggest you look at the following FAQ:

Three router solution - Take 2

Have no DVR's so that is moot.  

Do care about on screen caller id however i was proposing leaving the STB's at the same ip addresses as they currently are at.  Would that resolve that issue?

re the STB's sending their ip addresses to the VZ servers, would that not also be resolved by them being on the same subnet they were always on.

Another query would be if I had my own gateway router at subnet 192.168.3 and connected the VZ router as a secondary subnet of 192.168.1 via a lan to wan connection.  Would that cause more issues?

In that faq it says

For example, under "Networked Computer/Device" you'll see entries like "192.168.1.101:8082", with a corresponding entry under "Applications & Ports Forwarded" reading "Application, TCP Any -> 35000".

I have nothing like that in my PF rules

also I have nothing that specifies port 8082

0 Likes
VUser50
Contributor - Level 2

Are you doing this vs. just using your own router as an access point because of the lack of Gigabit ports on the Westell?

I just want to check my own thinking because I was considering doing this on with my new router which I plan to eventually connect to external storage. I eventually decided just to use it as an access point because I have a Rev. E Actiontec which has gigabit ports, and figured even the Actiontec should be able to do basic routing, 

0 Likes
VUser50
Contributor - Level 2

Actually it looks like this will be a non-issue. My router won't be able to use it's usb storage in access point mode so it looks like I have some fun configuration settings to mess with unless I want to be double NATed. At first I was excited about the free router... 

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@VUser50 wrote:

Are you doing this vs. just using your own router as an access point because of the lack of Gigabit ports on the Westell?

I just want to check my own thinking because I was considering doing this on with my new router which I plan to eventually connect to external storage. I eventually decided just to use it as an access point because I have a Rev. E Actiontec which has gigabit ports, and figured even the Actiontec should be able to do basic routing, 

Currently I am triple nat'd - the only down side is machines at the top subnet can't reach the ones on the lower subnets

.  I'd like to push the verizon router away by itself to just handle the STB's.  Also would like to be able to connect some nas storage to my netgear router and share it a Gbit speed

figured even the Actiontec should be able to do basic routing

think you'll be surprised.  I think you would need to get the router out of gateway mode into router mode to get routing working and I don't think any of the VZ routers can do that - my old linksys ones can

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@VUser50 wrote:

I have a Rev. E Actiontec which has gigabit ports,

Better double check that.  Only the rev. G and rev. I have gigabit ports.

0 Likes
VUser50
Contributor - Level 2
You're right! Rev. I.
0 Likes