Relocating Router
Jonah4

I have FiOs tv, internet and phone.  Right now the wireless router is on the third floor, and I wanted to relocate it to the second floor to improve signal strength on the first floor.  I have a splitter and two additional lengths of cable to use in the second floor bedroom.  I attached the splitter and ran one cable to the tv and the other to the router.  When I turned the router on, the lights for the WAN coax or internet were not on and I had no internet connection.   However the TV was working fine.  I thought maybe there was something wrong with the splitter or the new cables I used so I detached everything and tried the new splitter and cables back upstairs where it was originally.  It worked fine back on the third floor.  So I'm wondering if there is another reconfiguration that needs to be done when switching the location of the router within the house?   Please help!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Relocating Router
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

There shouldn't be any problem moving your router to another part of your house, but I'm having a little trouble following how you changed your wiring.

Where is your ONT located? 

Is the coax run to the third floor a direct run from the ONT?

When you moved the router to the second floor, where was the splitter?   When the router was on the second floor, what was the path from the ONT?

And when you took the router back upstairs you used exactly the same pieces of coax, to the same splitter ports, as it was configured downstairs?  (It doesn't make any sense that would work but it wouldn't work on the second floor.)

Don't pay for a service call just yet. Smiley Wink

BTW.... just something to think about. 

I also wanted to have better service at the other end of our house.  What I did was use a Netgear powerline adapter to bring Ethernet from my home office to the middle of the house.  Then I hooked an inexpensive wireless access point up to the powerline adapter.  I turned off the wifi on the Verizon Actiontec router and left it in place in my home office (at the one end of our house).   That configuration works really well here. 

View solution in original post

Jonah4

Just talked to tech support and said that someone has to come out to activate the new room for internet.   Is this really true?   I was hoping not to have to pay them to come out again and just do it remotely.  

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

There shouldn't be any problem moving your router to another part of your house, but I'm having a little trouble following how you changed your wiring.

Where is your ONT located? 

Is the coax run to the third floor a direct run from the ONT?

When you moved the router to the second floor, where was the splitter?   When the router was on the second floor, what was the path from the ONT?

And when you took the router back upstairs you used exactly the same pieces of coax, to the same splitter ports, as it was configured downstairs?  (It doesn't make any sense that would work but it wouldn't work on the second floor.)

Don't pay for a service call just yet. Smiley Wink

BTW.... just something to think about. 

I also wanted to have better service at the other end of our house.  What I did was use a Netgear powerline adapter to bring Ethernet from my home office to the middle of the house.  Then I hooked an inexpensive wireless access point up to the powerline adapter.  I turned off the wifi on the Verizon Actiontec router and left it in place in my home office (at the one end of our house).   That configuration works really well here. 

LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes